Massachusetts-Boston

Hotel Block?

I'm in the midst of booking my venue and the coordinator is asking me how many guest rooms I need.  I was planning on just "guessing" and blocking 20 rooms or so, but their attrition rate is 50%, which means we have to pay for half the rooms we block, even if they aren't booked by our guests.I have no idea where to even start.  We have maybe 10 guests coming in from out of state, and the rest of the guest list is from NH or MA.  Do people from the area tend to stay in hotels the night of the wedding?  I would think they'd like to stay for the after-party, especially since the reception is IN the hotel we're booking the block in.  Very convenient for them.  It's also a PITA to book only a few and then add to the block, so I'd rather get this right the first time.Any tips?
10.10.10 Bride! Our Bio Updated 9/26
image 129 Are ready to party! image 29 Party Poopers!

Re: Hotel Block?

• Mrs BabsMrs Babs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love your siggy pic :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Hm, those are hard questions to answer. Our venue just let us guess and put the 20 rooms on block for us. If we need more we can add them, we don't use them we aren't penalized. A lot of our friends will stay over because we plan on having an after party and celebrate through the night. As well, all of my family is OOT and will stay over. Fi's family is mostly local but even the local ones will stay over and party with us. Is there a cut off date... like these rooms are reserved until 10/1 and if they aren't booked then it goes back to the hotel? Or is it just you have to pay no matter what if the rooms aren't blocked? If I were you, I'd under book for risk of having to pay for the unused rooms. When it gets closer I'd probably just ask to have more rooms added. Also, is your new venue popular? Chances are, if its not, then there will probably be rooms vacant anyways.
  • cazzysmithcazzysmith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My venue let us start w/ 10 and then add as needed.  Sorry yours is so tricky.Most of our wedding party and a bunch of our family members and relatives are staying the night even if they're local.  I'd say 20 is a good number for you to block if you feel there's a good chance your family or wedding party would do the same, especially if there's an after-party.  Or maybe compromise w/ 15?good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Do you have to sign a contract with attrition? Most wedding blocks are courtesy blocks that do not have attrition.  I would start by asking the hotel what their current and forecasted occupancies are over your dates.  If it is super busy, I would ask for more rather than less.  You are not responsible for any unused rooms if the hotel sells out.  But, if you only ask for 10 and then need more and the hotel has sold out, you are SOL.  I work as a group reservations coordinator at a hotel, so this is actually my job.  feel free to contact me with any questions!
  • edited December 2011
    Scarlett,Yes we have a 50% attrition.  They usually sell out for our weekend 6 months in advance.  I'm sending out STDs 10 months in advance, and I will monitor the block to see if it's selling out.I think I'm gonig to call some of the family members and see if they're interested in staying at the hotel.  That way I just know for sure how much to expect.  We're only responsible for 50% so at least there is a buffer in there where we're not responsible for the whole thing.
    10.10.10 Bride! Our Bio Updated 9/26
    image 129 Are ready to party! image 29 Party Poopers!
  • edited December 2011
    attrition is normally 80% so you do have a good deal there if you HAVE to have attrition.  calling your family definitely sounds like a good idea.good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards