Catholic Weddings
Options

Unity Candles

Hi, Does the unity candle have to be lit from the candles that our parents lit at our baptism? Thank you, Ela

Re: Unity Candles

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Not that I know of... Unity candles are an "extra" in the ceremony. FI and I aren't using one...
    BFP#1: 3/9/11 Natural m/c: 3/21/11
    BFP#2: 7/21/11 DS born 3/23/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    no.  the unity candle is not even a catholic ritual, although many priests today allow it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nope.  It's not even a Catholic tradition, although some parishes do permit it.  It's a Protestant tradition that has migrated to some Catholic ceremonies recently.  (My parish did not allow it, which was fine b/c we didn't want to have a unity candle anyway.) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I did not even realize that it was not Catholic tradition. It was reading the booklet that the monsignor gave us and I found it there so I guess it is allowed in the church we are getting married.  I think it would look beautiful.Thank you
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just lite the normal side candles from the Easter candle.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No Actually many Catholic parishes forbid them as they are not a Catholic tradition. Ask your parish
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What I don't get is why priests get bent out of shape about a unity candle but not about eulogies, which also aren't part of the Catholic cermony. There have been plenty of things changed in Catholic ceremonies. Why do people care about candles?
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    my catholic church does not do eulogies either, tehy do a funeral mass.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Apparently St. Margaret's does not care about the candles, they listed it as a thing that "some couples like to include in their ceremony"... I think it woudl be a nice accent if we lit the unity candle from the two candles that our parents lit for us at baptism :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards