New Hampshire

Charitable Donation in Lieu of Favors

FI is very close with his grandfather, he is thrilled about us getting married and was so excited to be at our wedding.  However, he was just diagnosed with terminal cancer and only has 3-6 months to live.  I originally planned on doing a candy buffet for my favors but now I am wondering what everyone thinks about a charitable donation in lieu of favors.  We would give to the American Cancer Society and put a card at each place setting explaining the gift in FI's grandfather's honor.

Re: Charitable Donation in Lieu of Favors

• kristen0393kristen0393 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think thats a really great idea but I do hope that by some miracle your FIs grandfather can stick around and be healthy enough to attend your wedding. Thoughts & prayers..
    PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I love the idea as well, but think that one framed explanation at each table is enough.  I think something at each place setting would be overdoing it. Best wishes for FI's grandfather!!!
  • Starfish724Starfish724 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that's a great idea. We've been tossing the idea around to do something similar at our wedding. Honestly, the donation will probably go a lot further then a box of candy will.
  • edited December 2011
    I think that a charitable donation is a great idea in lieu of favors, I have often though about doing it, but have decided against it for various reasons. I think that if you have a foundation that means something to you because it affected someone in your lives, then its especially meaningful and should be well received
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's very thoughtful and I'm sure FI's family will really appreciate it.  I like the idea of one explanation at each table and maybe you could include a picture of FI and his grandfather together with the explanation. 
    Anniversary Buying A Home
  • MrsWilson0611MrsWilson0611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone!  And I love the idea of using a photo
  • Steffy3217Steffy3217 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the donation is a great idea! Also I wanted to shed a little light on the whole "terminal" thing... My BIL's father was given 3months to live..... 4years ago.... Every time he went in for chemo or surgery, they would tell him to not expect to make it to the next holiday, to see my neice born, or anything... while he's not in the same health he was a few years ago, he's still kicking. I just hope that may give you all a little bit of a better feeling on things as well! But also, best wishes to you and Fi's family.
  • edited December 2011
    I did a donation favor for my wedding. Everyone thoguht it was such an awesome idea. I personally thought it was important to have a small card at each place setting. I printed up a brief explanation for every guest on pretty scalloped stationary paper from Staples, and they were tented on the tables, they looked great!
  • MrsWilson0611MrsWilson0611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, that is incredible!  It's good to know that the time frame isn't necessarily set it stone.
  • edited December 2011
    I did a donation as well... DH and I have spent much of our lives working with children that have struggled in some way or another and it was important to incorporate that into our wedding... so we picked a non-profit that we were both involved with at various points that works with traumatized, homeless, and impoverished children. We got business cards from vista print and attached it to an edible favor... see pics in bio. GL!
  • EDK2010EDK2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also doing a donation in lieu of favors. Both my grandmother and FI's grandfather have passed away from cancer. We are donating to a local (NH) organization called Amy's Treat: http://www.amystreat.org/They work specifically with the Seacoast Cancer Center to help families going through cancer treatments deal with day to day expenses such as gas, food etc.I love that this is a local organization and that I know our donation will immediately make a difference!
    TTC #1 Since July 2011
    BFP #1 2/28/12- 3/3/12 CP at 4w3d
    BFP #2 4/1/12- 5/7/12 Missed M/C at 8w4d (measuring 6w3d)
    TTC on hold until December
  • maggiecroteaumaggiecroteau member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a donation in lieu of favors as well.  We did a folding card at each place setting thanking everyone for coming and explaining that in lieu of favors we were doing a donation to a children's hospital.  My husband's best man's son has leukemia and we benefitted the hospital where he is receiving his treatments.  It was a surprise for Kevin and his wife and they were really touched by it.  I don't think having a small card at each place setting is overdoing it--and vista print is really reasonably priced. 
  • manna1212manna1212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We donated to the American Heart Association. We used Vistaprint and printed out cards for everyone. I don't think it looked overdone. Just as another idea...we bought bracelets from the Association to put with our cards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards