Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

mixing religious traditions in a non-denominational ceremony?

FI is Romanian Orthodox and I was raised Presbyterian, but we are not active in either church now. We are having an outdoor wedding, probably with a non-denominational minister. However, there are certain Orthodox traditions that I think are beautiful and I would like to include them (crowning ceremony and binding of the hands during the ceremony) Since the officiant won't be an Orthodox priest, i doubt he will do all the chants, but I am wondering if y'all think its tacky to pick the certain traditions we want if we don't completely do it the way they do it in church (chanting, etc).  FI loves these traditions and wants to do them as well.  Opinions?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: mixing religious traditions in a non-denominational ceremony?

• I guess i should clarify that I just don't  want to seem irreverent. that word came to me after i pressed post. DOH!
  • It is your wedding and whatever is meaningful to you is what you should do! Now one word of advice (my husband and I will be renewing our vows next fall after being married for 25 year!) you marry not just your husband, but his family too. The same is true for him, he doesn't get just you the family comes too. So I would talk to both sets of parents to make sure you're not going to offend them with what you're planning.
  • If you follow a religous custom and treat it with respect and reverence, and it is something that is a part of you, it wouldn't be tacky or weird to include it. If you copied a religous custom that you didn't understand b/c you thought it was pretty and didn't respect the meaning behind it, that would border on tacky. Since these are your (you all's) traditions, they have meaning to you. Definately do them. I don't know anything about Romanian Orthodox, but I know for Roman Catholic you can find retired or former priests that will do non-denominational ceremonies. Maybe you could find an officiant like that who would be able to help you incorporate some of these symbols?
  • Thanks for the advice and support. I will definitely consult FILs, but they are really uninvolved (personal issues, not issues with me) so it will take a while to work out. That's a really good idea to get a retired priest. Ill have to see if i can find a retired orthodox priest here. I work at a Lutheran university, so I was going to ask one of hte many ordained ministers on campus, but maybe the retired priest would actually be able to do the chants.. hmmm. I still have over a year, so Im sure we'll figure it out!
  • I think this will be more in line with honoring your fiance's heritage and not just appropriating something from another culture because it looks neat. I'd say go for it, just make sure you both (and your officiant) research it so you can do things the proper way.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards