Chit Chat
Options

Godparent question

My nephew is getting baptized in 3 weeks.

I am his Godmother but my sister and I have no clue what my duties are for the christening or the party afterwards.
Am I supposed to pay for anything? Or do anything in particular at the church??
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Godparent question

• Options
    Depends on the denomination, I suppose.  My daughters' Godparents had speaking roles in the service - as in a series of questions and answers about what it means to be a Godparent and their willingness to take on the responsibility.  You should talk to the clergyperson to see what he/she expects of them at the service.  Outside of that, I didn't expect anything from the Godparents regarding preparations or at the reception afterwards.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In our church (Catholic) the godparents play a symbolic roll in raising the child in the religon.  They had a roll in the baptism ceremony and had to look pretty and smile for a bunch of pictures.  You'll definately need to ask the parents what is expected of you on that end.  Other than that, they never paid for anything, but typically brought some sort of token gift.  (I have a really pretty rosary that my godmother got for my baptism.)

Other than that, they are just present in the child's life.  Also, for us personally, our godparents were our aunts and uncles, and they always gave us Christmas gifts. 
  • Options
     Some families have traditions associated with baptism, such as the Godparents buying the baptismal outfit, a special cake, religious jewelry, children's bible or some other keepsake.
    The only 'duties' are supporting your nephew in his faith development. You will probably be asked to hold the baby during the service.

• Options

My little niece is my god daughter. We're Catholic, so I pretty much just needed to stand up with her during the ceremony.

Also, I did buy her christening gown, but I'm not sure if that's really a "god parent" thing, or just a tradition in my family.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    My sister and BIL have 2 Godchildren in Mexico. My sister made both of their Christening dresses and they are expected to help with their schooling, etc.

My Godson is 4 and hasn't been baptized yet. We are not blood related, but we have a special relationship and I get him extra special gifts. He will be my ring bearer.

My Godparents are my dad's eldest brother and his wife. They never had children of their own, so they are very close with all of their Godchildren. I don't think they paid for anything at my Christening, but they pretty much spoiled us when we went over to their house. My Godmother told me that her Godmother paid for her bouquet for her wedding, so she has offerred to pay for all the flowers for mine (we are DIYing bouquets and centerpieces). I was going to ask her to be a reader too, but we havent figured out that part yet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards