Moms and Maids

Does the MOB or Step FOB have to toast?

I am new to all this wedding stuff, and as the mother of the bride, I would like to know if we are expected to give a toast at the rehearsal dinner or wedding reception. I have no problem with it, if that is the norm, but want to be prepared either way.

Re: Does the MOB or Step FOB have to toast?

• morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MOB here (in 15 days!) Some MOBs do.I am not.  I hate speaking in crowds. I am dreading walking up to light the unity candle. My husband is giving a toast at the reception.
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't, but some do.  It just didn't feel right to me, so I didn't do it.  However, if the other mom had said a few words, I would have felt obligated. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • TruchanaTruchana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No but typically I would say one representative from the family should.  It is usually the brides father, but if you don't think he will cut the mustard or you are footing the bill and want to, then go for it.  Unless the Step FOB is someone your daughter calls father, I wouldn't think he should play a part in any speeches.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    noThe norm is FOB toasts to welcome the guests.Best man toasts the marriage.Groom toasts his bride.A couple of times I have seen the MOH.  FOG toasts at the RD
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OOT-that's your norm. In our circle, I have only once seen a toast by a parent. Virtually every wedding I've been to has only had a toast by BM and/or MOH.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Not necessariy the norm here but it's what's stated in E. Post weddings.
  • TruchanaTruchana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In the midwest, it usually goes as such, FOB - Welcome guests MOH BM - although I don't think it matters if the MOH or BM go first. FOG is supposed to give toast at the Rehearsal Dinner, however I had my FFIL give a little toast and say grace.I have seen many weddings where only the BM and MOH gives toasts.  Either way, I don't think it is the place of a step parent to give a toast unless it is the wish of the bride/groom. You can truly do whatever the heck you want to do.  It's your daughters wedding, ask her who she'd like to do toasts!
  • edited December 2011
    I've only seen MOH and BM. The only dad we have is the FOG and he's only doing one at the RD. My  SO is already uncomfortable enough that he has a tux and a boutainnaire (yes, I know I spelled it wrong).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards