Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Pumpkin spice cake?

My wedding is 10.16.10 and I'm thinking of having my cake pumpkin spice flavored, and serving hot apple cider with it!  I'm not sure if this is a good idea or a bad idea.  This is how I want the cake to look - Thoughts...?

Re: Pumpkin spice cake?

• jennahugojennahugo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think it's an AWESOME idea! everybody loves pumpkin and hot apple cider sounds so yummy. good job!
  • edited December 2011
    Yum! One of the bakers we had a tasting with had a really delicious apple spice cake that would have been awesome for a fall wedding, pumpkin spice cake will be really fun!
  • edited December 2011
    Our date is 10-17-09. We are having a private ceremony & later that day a post wedding reception. We are having pumpkin poundcake with cream cheese icing as one of our layers, the pumpkin & cream cheese is scrumpcious !!  In addition to other beverage offerings we are having an apple cider punch but it will be cold instead of hot.  I am sure your guests will love both choices.
    image Hobbs Anniversary
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I think it sounds wonderful!
  • edited December 2011
    oh good i'm so glad that you guys don't think it's a bad idea!!!  laurabb i love the idea of pumpkin pound cake with cream cheese icing...omg...yum!! my mom was thinking that some people might think it's tacky to have pumpkin spice cake instead of traditional chocolate or raspberry or something.  but i picked an october wedding date because i LOVE the fall, so it's good to know that i'm not the only one who thinks pumpkin spice cake is a good festive idea.  thanks girls!
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds wonderful to me!
  • linzlou83linzlou83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding is 10/11/09 and one of our tiers is pumpkin with cream cheese filling!  And that cake design is gorgeous!
  • edited December 2011
    Pumpkin is my favorite flavor, so I would be thrilled if anyone I know had pumpkin cake at their wedding. And I think that cake design is beautiful and very appropriate for a pumpkin flavored cake. Also... I lived in Austria as a teenager and one of my favorite seasonal things was gluhwein, which is a hot mulled red wine. It is flavored with cinnamon, cloves, ginger and orange zest usually. I think it's one of the most perfect things for fall and winter events. Maybe think about getting something like that as well for people who aren't big on apple cider. Just a thought :)
  • edited December 2011
    Well thanks. You have totally derailed my bridal diet. God I love pumpkin.Sounds fabulous! If your mom is really concerned about guests not going for the pumpkin, you could do a layer of white or chocolate cake, but do what makes you happy!
  • edited December 2011
    Our wedding is October 17, 2009 and we are doing a three layer cake with sour cream/almond as the largest tier (like a traditional white cake) with carrot as the middle tier and spice as the top tier.  I got some reactions similar to your mom's, that's why we added the white cake layer, but I loved the idea of spice cake and wanted to include it!  Pumpkin spice sounds wonderful - I wish we had done that!  I think it works perfectly with October and the apple cider with it is perfect.  Its making me want some right now!
  • cazzysmithcazzysmith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YUM!!  I'd love it.  I love all things fall and all things pumpkin-flavored!
  • eas2730eas2730 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds great! Go for it!I like the idea of not the usual white, yellow, or chocolate.Your wedding is an expression of the two of you; the advice for having what everyone has is counter to the statement of your marriage and your celebration of love and commitment as two individuals.Enjoy!
  • On_Cloud_NineOn_Cloud_Nine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love it! Sounds like a great Fall wedding to me!But I will go ahead and throw this out there...not everyone likes pumpkin. (Shocking, I know! My FI is one of them, eep!) It may be a good idea to have one layer be something else...maybe like an apple spice cake or so, if you want to keep it in the fall-flavors. Just so people who don't like pumpkin aren't left out. But it's your cake, and you do whatever you want! I really love the idea! And the cake is gorgeous. Wonderful colors!
  • kfarris78kfarris78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is 10-16-09 and I REALLY wish I would have thought of that! What a great idea!! Sounds SOOO good! Best of luck!
    Having a baby is like falling in love again, both with your husband and your child. BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think it sounds really cute, but I would recommend to have more than one flavor, since not everyone likes pumpkins.
  • edited December 2011
    Pumpkin spice flavor sounds awesome! Can I come to your wedding? lol I think that is a great idea and very unique. Most wedding cakes are the basic white but that will be a nice surprise for your guests.
  • edited December 2011
    Mine is October 16 this year and I am so sad I didn't think of this! Great idea!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lmadams123lmadams123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a spice cake with apple filling for our 10-10 wedding.  Great minds think alike? : D  and it is DELICIOUS.
  • LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds yummy! Go for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards