Arizona-Phoenix

Engagement Time--How long is too long???

We were engaged March 2009, and are possibly moving our October 2010 wedding date to March of 2011.....so it would actually be exactly 2 years.  Are there any brides that wish they would have had a longer or shorter engagement?  Or any pro/cons to the 2 year engagement?  Any advice would be appreciated.....I was starting to make actual wedding plans for October 2010, and am a little sad that I may have to wait.....

Re: Engagement Time--How long is too long???

• mresendezmresendez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally think 2 years is too long to wait. I don't see the point in getting engaged and then staying that way for so long. We had an 8 month engagement and it seems just right.
  • edited December 2011
    Honestly- I think this is a completely personal decision.  I highly recommend paying cash for everything, instead of going into debt, and if you need a longer engagement to save up the $$$- I say go for it. You know the situation and the reasons, and it's a completely personal choice.  There are girls who were engaged for 5 months, and girls engaged for over 2 years- it's a personal decision that really only you know the answer too.Best of luck either way!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If it's finances or health or you're waiting to get out of school or something like that, then I say wait.  No one will care how long of an engagement you have, I would just wait to have the engagement party, shower, etc. until closer to the actual date.  If it's just something trivial, then I think two years is a bit long.  My engagement was 9/08 - 11/09, so 14 months.   
  • edited December 2011
    Our engagement will be about 2 years.  We had a couple reasons for it.  We are also paying cash for everything and paying for it all on our own so this will give us more time.  Also FI's brother went on a mission right before we got engaged and FI asked him to be best man and said he wanted all his siblings to have a chance to be there.  So that's our reason...  Honestly, it's been working out well for us.  I don't stress about the wedding.  We've had time to enjoy it and plan things how we would like them.  It's definitely something you two will have to go over and see if it will be best for you.  Good luck!
    80 Ready to party! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My FI and I will be engaged a little over 2 years when we get married.  I agree that it is completely up to the couple and their finances.  Originally we planned on having the wedding about a year after  the proposal, but my FI needed surgery and that set us way back.So just wait until your ready and then go for it!
  • NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think if you are committed to each other, then the time you are engaged doesn't matter.  2 years gives you plenty of time to plan and purchase things for your wedding.  You can do more research, make better deals, and have your first choice of venues.  Don't let anyone pressure you into getting married before you have the money to pay for it, or have health insurance coverage.Good luck!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I will be engaged for over two years when we get married. We were engaged 7/09 and will be wed 09/11. The date is special to us, and we want to save some money so we do not go into debt for our wedding. It seemed like the best opition for us. On the other hand, my sister was engaged 05/08 and was to be wed on 05/10 but moved the wedding to indefinate. They both are finishing school, and she is unsure where she will end up with the program she is in. Its a personal decision, and no time is to long or too short. You have your reasons for why you are waiting or moving it up. Dont be influenced by others. If I were to listen to my FSIL I would have been married the next day.
  • shellybethshellybeth member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our engagement was only 6 months and it seems perfect.
  • jaye321jaye321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm really late in responding to this.  There is no set time that is too short or too long for an engagement (okay unless we're talking like 10 years).  It's a completely personal decision, and a lot goes into making that decision.  We were engaged July 2007 and married March 2009.  So about 18 months.  We were hellbent on paying for the entire thing ourselves, and still having a nest egg to start our married life with.  I also didn't want to deal with a lot of stress, and was very DIY oriented.  So I needed that time to slowly plan, organize the best deals possible and get everything done.  I was also a full time student, and had a full time job + internship for most of the engagement.  It definitely was a long time for us, but it honestly flew by.  I'm really happy that we waited.  At the end of the day I was unbelievably satisfied and impressed with everything we accomplished.  Any less time and I don't think I could have pulled it all together without a wedding planner.  Plus there are a ton of deals you get by booking vendors a year + out.  We had savings of around 3K just on booking things so early.  Well worth it.  Just do whats best for you and FI.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    2 years? is that all? hahaI got engaged March 2007, was going to get married March 2008. Then I got accepted into law school. With the time and money that takes, we had to postpone the wedding. We now have a date of 9/11, so it's still 2 more years, 4 1/2 total! Yes i get jokey remarks from people about how long we've been engaged, but whatever. Most people understood our reasons, and respected them. We knew that the wedding could wait, but I couldn't postpone school. And we want the wedding of our dreams, without having to scrimp or stress or not invite people we want there. So yeah, I'm antsy for the wedding, it does suck that we had to put it off so long, but in the end I don't regret it at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards