Attire & Accessories Forum

alterations help

Hi all! Just wanted opinions cuz I'm not sure what to do about my dress alterations. I live in California, but my wedding is back home in Pennsylvania. I bought my dress in PA. I'm not sure if I should get it shipped and altered here or do it there. Wedding is April 2013 and I plan on going home sometime before then but not exactly sure when. One more piece of info.. If I have it done there, my mom said she could do it. I love my mom and all but I'm not sure if she can make the fit the way I want it. I'm stuck and don't know what to do. Which one makes more sense?

Re: alterations help

• I would have the dress shipped to you. It will be more convenient for you to have your fittings nearby when the time comes, plus you can use that as an excuse to help avoid hurting your mother's feelings. And you can tell her that this way, you can spend your visits east simply enjoying the trip and time with family/friends rather than worrying over fittings.
  • I would have it altered where you live.  Dress alterations sometimes take more then just one fitting and unless you are willing to fly back and forth for two months very close to your wedding date, the easiest thing to do is have it shipped to you and altered in California.

• Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I bought my dress in VA (where the wedding was) while living in the UK.  I made one trip back for a fitting (it was over Christmas, when I was in the states anyway), and then did my final fitting about 10 days before the wedding.  My dress didn't need much -- hem, bustle, and some minor alterations to the bodice and straps.  It was no big deal, and the seamstress was happy to work with me.  It would have been VERY dificult and expensive to ship my dress to the UK to be altered, then ship it back to VA for the wedding.
    DSC_9275
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards