Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How far in advance

How far in advance did everybody order their wedding cake or how far in advance are you planning on ordering it?

Re: How far in advance

• edited December 2011
    Depends on where you plan on ordering your cake. 3 months for a grocery store cake may work, but the local bakery may require 6 months or more. During my cake business years I was sometimes booked a year in advance on popular weekends! This is a good question to ask when you are scouting out cake shops.
  • edited December 2011
    i would talk to local bakeries, my wedding is over a year away and i've already put in an order and down payment because it's a holiday weekend. so i think it depends when your wedding is, and on the bakery you use. i haven't finalized anything, but the baker wants the colors and design finalized by the end of this year for my november 2010 wedding. HTH
  • edited December 2011
    okay thanks ladies. I think im going to wait until after the bridal shows im going to on november 1 and 8th. my wedding is august 14th so that would give me 9 months when i order it.
  • edited December 2011
    I did the same as eskii in that I ordered mine over a year in advance and put down the deposit. It's with a local stay at home mom that runs her business out of her home. She's a one-woman-show and I wanted to be sure to get my order in before anyone else snagged her. Nine months out is plenty of time to get your place reserved for your wedding day needs and you can always make minor changes if you change your mind closer to the big day. Good luck and have fun tasting...that's the part my FI loved the most!
  • shakesshakes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ordered ours from a bakery and it was about 6 months before. They asked for final payment and confirmation 6 weeks before the wedding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • StefanieM522StefanieM522 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ordered mine the begining og September for my May 22, 2010 wedding.  The lady that is doing mine, books up fast, so I wanted to get my date secured.  I had to put a deposit down but I can change the design or flavors upto 2 months before my wedding so I am happy with that.  Good luck!!
  • edited December 2011
    I am doing that today, and my wedding is November 7th.
  • dojo1dojo1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ordered ours 8-6 months out (can't remember exactly).  Basically, it was by far and away the BEST cake I tasted at any bridal show.  I make cakes myself (not professionally) and this bakery made me jealous of how good their cakes were. Since I knew I wouldn't be able to stand it if I had to use anyone else I ordered early.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hillaryeggerthillaryeggert member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ordered ours from Target 1 month ahead (we procrastinate).FYI... Supertargets have bakeries and do wedding cakes.  I wish we would have stopped wasting time and ordered as soon as we tried their awesome sample cake (we got a voucher for a free 6 inch wedding cake when you registered there).  We are THRILLED with how our wedding cake turned out and got tons of compliments on it.  I think they need at least 1 month's notice.  We were right on the cusp of that and it worked out just fine.  HIGHLY recommend them! :)
  • edited December 2011
    The restaurant that our reception was at has a bakery (Knott's Berry Farm) so when we booked our wedding we picked a cake & flaovrs and they ahd it ready for the day of.There's something to be said about all inclusive locations.
  • WakisaWakisa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got married on 9.19.09 and we ordered through Publix (a grocery store) about 3 weeks in advance. I would have to say it depends on who you go with---grocers usually don't need as much time as independent bakeries. I say to at least allow yourself 3-4 weeks from the date of your wedding...good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    ESKIIMOBBY - I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE your flowers!
  • shamicnicshamicnic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ordered our cake in January and we are getting married this month.  I ordered the groom's cake in September from the same baker.
  • edited December 2011
    We found a bakery we like, its a local business, and our wedding is in November of 2010. (was referred by a friend)  They told us to just call when we have a date, and they'll give us a time frame on when we'd have to come in & put in an order.  It really does depend on your date, and the workload the bakery has for events around that same time.
  • Elle71Elle71 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister makes cakes on the side and is doing mine. We've been pouring over designs but generally she askes for a couple months notice, but she only does one or two per weekend.
  • JNKS2328JNKS2328 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi. I'm getting married June 2010 and we did our cake tasting last week. We put a deposit down on it yesterday.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • rotellarotella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, our wedding is August 14th too!! Our reception location is doing our cake and we already put the deposit down. I'm going in like February to talk with her about what we want it to look like. I heard The Cakery is a good place, fyi.
    **LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE**

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!

Buying A Home

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we used an italian bakery and ordered a non-wedding cake.  i ordered it about 2 months out, but that was more out of obsessive compulsiveness than anything.  i was told i could order as little as one week in advance - i just wnated to cross another thing off my list.
  • edited December 2011
    We ordered ours early.  I was all stressed out after interviewing reception venues/photographers/videographers and FI suggested I do something more "pleasant" and talk to the two bakeries that contracted with our venue.That was in May.  The nice thing was the bakery we went with had a deal where they would give us a 20% discount for paying in full.  So we did that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards