Wedding Etiquette Forum

Moving wedding up

Im wondering how quickly you you can plan a full wedding and if it looks weird when a couple moves a wedding up by 5 or more months because the save the date cards have been sent.

Re: Moving wedding up

• Depends on what you want.  Obviously the fewer vendors you try and coordinate in a short amount of time, the better.  Yes, weddings can be planned in a few months.  You just need to be organized and not picky.
  • You can plan a wedding as quickly as you want depending on how detailed you want it to be.  My advice would be to find a venue first (those often book up the earliest, and if you can find a venue everything else can be planned later) and then an officiant and photographer (not as essential as place and officiant but they also book up quickly depending on the person and area).  Everything else can probably be done in a few weeks. I don't think it would look "weird" to move up a wedding, but I'm willing to bet you'd have a lot of people ask you why, just because people are curious. Now I want to know why.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • you can get married next week in the courthouse if you want. I would think you were pregnant, if I had received the STD card and heard you were moving the wedding up. Yet another strike against STDs.
  • You can plan a "full wedding" as quickly as you care to, its just have a matter of having a plan and deciding what's important. From what I understand, you've already sent save the dates? If that's the case, I'd just send some kind of change of date postcards.
  • In November 2008 we moved our 10/09 wedding up to 5/09. I had a vendor booked already, but after making the decision to move the wedding up, I just got on top of things and booked all of my vendors within a month. It worked out well.As long as you notify your guests of the date change, you should be fine.
  • Im hoping that a lot of ppl dont ask but we will see. I guess if I cut down on the vendors and just go with thats available then I should get it done quickly Id like to move it up the end of Dec but Im worried that because of NYEve it might be hard
  • pumpkinpumpkin my fear is that ppl will question that Im pregnant which would be really really bad to have flying around with my family and my fiances family.
  • People will ask. Count on that. And if you mean NYE this year, that will be tough. You can plan in 3 months, however, that's not a lot of time for your guests to make plans, especially for a holiday weekend that a lot of people have long-standing plans for.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • As bad as it sounds if you don't want people to assume that you're pregnant (they shouldn't but some people do anyway) you're probably going to have to tell them the real reason, whatever it is.  The more secretive you are about it, the more people will make assumptions and start rumors.  It's just how a lot of people are, curious and wanting answers for everything.
    Married
    Planning
  • I really dont have time to let it go longer than that. Id plan the wedding for the beg of Dec if I thought I could do it and I think I might have to. Florida wedding in Dec, not what I wanted.
  • Well if you're not pregnant then I can't think of any other scandalous reasons. (Though in the whole scheme of things, you're getting married anyways, woo who you're pregnant, these things happen all the time) Why can't you just tell them the truth as to why you're moving it up, whatever that may be?
  • Well the real reason is the pregnant but thats not allowed in our family before marriage. I was born premie and Im hoping if we plan it well we can pass the baby off as premie.
  • What is the rush?
  • Aaaaahhhhh.Good luck with that one. 
    Married
    Planning
  • OP - So are you planning to lie to your family or am I reading that wrong?
  • Having it by the end of the year will be tricky.  You're putting your wedding against the holidays, which people probably have plans in place already.  Also, people are going to be biitchy, maybe rightfully so, that you're making them travel at the busiest/most expensive time of the year.  Other vendors may be hard to book, like venues, who may already be booked for holiday parties.
  • ggmae my mother knows and my fiance knows but that is it. My fiances family would be really angry at him if they found out and my dad would be furious at me. My mother thinks it is best to hide it and I agree with her.
  • Aaannnd, that will go over well.  No one will believe it's a premie if it's a full birth weight size.Better to come clean and face the music.  You're a big girl.Congrats btw.
  • Oh goodness. Yeah, your best bet is honesty. I'm really sorry that your family can't be more supportive. All the best.
  • [i]I was born premie and Im hoping if we plan it well we can pass the baby off as premie[/i] Not. Going. To. Happen. If you push your wedding up, people will figure it out - they will have their suspicions anyway, and they will just be confirmed when your child is born. Then, not only will you have been preggo before marriage, but you would have lied to everyone on top of that. Plus, something seems wrong, karmically speaking, about planning on passing your kid off as a premie.
  • I agree with Lynds. Your best bet is to be upfront and honest with your family. Why would you want the beginning of your married life (and your child's life) to be a lie?
  • Also, if you were that concerned about what your family/his family were going to think, you probably shouldn't have been having pre-marital sex to begin with. Just sayin.
  • Im worried it wont fly but if I lie right now and then in the end it comes out that the baby is not premie, maybe everyone will overlook that with all the joy of a new baby. I cant imagine what life will be like being unmarried and pregnant in our family. It would be awful. With my mothers help it might work but I have my doubts. Either way the wedding has to move up.
  • Yeah congrats! I know it's not my life but I also agree that honesty would be the best answer here. People will find out, I promise.
    Married
    Planning
  • This is making me wonder if people thought that I was pregnant when we moved our wedding up 5 months...
  • Tidetravel I know you are right. It will not work and I do believe there is something bad to come about lying about something soimportant.
  • Holy crap your mom is ok with hiding that from your DAD? That's healthy.
  • Ha gg, well you dont' have a baby bump now, so I think you're ok :)and ditto Tide. 
    Married
    Planning
  • Thank you. I will try to find a peaceful way to tell everyone.
  • M was born at 6 months but she was only 2 1/2 lbs.I wouldn't wish three months in NNICU on anyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards