Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Grocery Poll

2»

Re: Grocery Poll

• Options
    I also know that it is hunting season, so he will be around a lot less to help me with anything.in tiggers defense having a husband/father who avidly hunts is REALLY hard on the relationship.my dad is a big time hunter.. and was away for weeks at a time growing up, leaving my mum to run a farm and 3 children on her own.it's hard not to be a bit bitter when you are pulling more than your fair share of the weight and they seem to be gallivanting around having fun. this was a very common fight between my parents.. my dad just didn't get it.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong Nebb, I love that he is creative and into different things and do anjoy some time apart.  But it always seems like a switch goes off during hunting season and he just does whatever he wants....he's all for fun stuff, but the business of things gets left to me.  I plan on talking with him tonight when we do the budget and will try to sound less bitter so I don't start a fight.  But honestly, ladies.....I'm exhausted, still dealing with family drama from the wedding, and its obvious that I need a little help....I guess I just need to ask him a little more direct.
  • Options
    I am spoiled like Mandy :) He shops more then I do and if I ever do it by myself he always helps bring things in. However, I probably wouldn't have married a guy who didn't notice I needed help. Or, at the very least if I said that needed help, he would jump when asked. But, that is just me. I would do the same for him as well.
  • Options
    We go together on Sunday evenings, but not often- we eat out a lot.
  • Options
    Sometimes just I go after work but sometimes I wait for him and we go together.. I put away the groceries because I prefer to as I'm anal about how they're organized... If I'm super busy or exhausted he will put them away for me though
  • Options
    The groceries that didn't have to be put away as soon as I got home last night, I left so I could sit down and eat something.  And I will put them away tonight, but honestly, it made me mad that he didn't just do it himself.  I went to Costco and Wal-mart so yeah, it took me that long by myself.  I hadn't been in almost a month and we were out of a lot.  Plus, I'm trying to stock up so I don't have to go as often because I'm beginning to hate it.  The hunting thing is very hard, especially on top of the family issues.  When he's gone, I feel very alone right now.  We should still be in the honeymoon stage and I feel like I'm working 3 jobs. 
  • Options
    We both go. We usually try to go when I'm hungry so I'm craving something. We eat out a lot too :)
  • Options
    I consult him when making a list, and then I do the shopping. It rarely even takes an hour. If he wants to do something specific and more expensive than our regular groceries, he will come with me and pay too:) I wont get into how we split the bills because that is just TMI. Unless i have a crapload of groceries, I bring them in myself. I use the reusable bags, which hold at least 3 times more than the plastic ones, to make the fewest trips possible. If he's not in the middle of a raid (WoW), he helps me put them away. I do all the cooking. He takes out the trash. We eat out on the weekends, mostly, because he likes to. I agree that with PPs that communication is key. We recognize that neither of us is telepathic, no matter how close we may be, and we need to verbalize our needs and expectations in order to have them met.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We always go together for large shopping trips and then one of us picks us little stuff we might need for meals.  We only do big shopping about once every 10-14 days, and its mostly for me...one of the benefits of having a FI who is a restaurant manager is that he gets free food...so we don't tend to grocery shop often.  So when we need produce or meats we just run over and grab them, whomever is home (it also helps that the nearest grocery store is exactly .17 miles from our front door...).We put things away together too - I take things out of bags (frozen first, then fridge, then pantry) and he organizes.  He likes to be organized...
  • Options
    Twinkie- You go when you are hungry? They always say not too because you will buy too much haha. I always go after work so I'm typically hungry but oh well...
  • Options
    We also spend way more if H goes shopping with me.  Sometimes I'll ask him to run to the store for random things (which he'll then call me to ask where to find them...annoying), but I'd never send him on a whole grocery shopping trip alone because he wouldn't buy one fruit or vegetable and everything would be frozen.  Haha! I can sympathize about the hunting thing...sort of.  H and his dad go up to their cabin every other weekend, 6 months of the year.  I generally enjoy being by myself when he's gone, but we've argued about it too because it cuts into a lot of fun activities.
  • Options
    Vicmo - My bill is double if T goes with me...Boys are expensive sometimes.
  • Options
    "We also spend way more if H goes shopping with me." To avoid this, I have to be his mother at times - "No, you don't need Reese's Puffs Cereal, you have Fruit Loops at home. You'll be fine with Breyer's you don't need Haggen Daaz. Tim, put the video game down, you're no getting it."
  • Options
    I had friends that didn't even know I had a dad because he was never around due to work and then his hobby of racing in the summer. My mom got frustrated sometimes, but not to the point of being passive aggressive.  SHe would just ask for help, or tell him that she needed him home this weekend so he could help her with something or so they could have some time together or some family time.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    Yeah they are! Also, I don't need 80 different types of snacks staring me in the face.  It's not helpful.
  • Options
    Lately, due to our kitchen situation (getting ready to rehab it) our cooking options are limited. So, H usually runs to the grocery store on a daily basis to get whatever he feels like grilling. We both go to the farmers market together every week.Once things get back to normal I'll be doing the weekly grocery shopping, H has a hard time sticking to lists and usually gets overly excited in the junk food aisles.
  • Options
    I always go alone. My cabinets would be full of junk if he went alone. I don't even like it when he goes with me because if he wants something(s) junky he makes this pitiful face that I can't resist. He also sneaks things into the cart.He carries the bags in and helps me put everything away, although I seriously think the main reason why he helps is to see if I got any treats for him.
  • Options
    Mostly T does the grocery shopping, or we do it together.  I rarely go by myself.  He always unloads them from the car and I always put them away.  I'm just too OCD when it comes to putting the food away right.  He'll put ice cream on top of meat in the freezer and stuff like that and it bothers me. 
  • Options
    We usually do it together, but once or twice a week he ends up running to the store for a mini-pick up (he drinks an enormous amount of milk so he has to pick up more frequently). Sometimes he does a full shopping trip without me, but I actually prefer to go with him since sometimes I forget I want things till I actually see them.
  • Options
    Just put the groceries away. Seriously, is this really where you want to draw your line in the sand? Do not let yourself act petty and immature over something as silly and inconsequential as groceries. To answer your question though, we usually go shopping together if we can. But sometimes he'll go alone, and sometimes I'll go alone. It's about even. Before heading to the store, we sit down together and plan our meals for the week and don't let ourselves buy anything not on the list which really helps to stay under budget, and ensures that DH will actually eat what I fix for him since I do most of the cooking.
  • Options
    I'd say about half together and half the time just I go.  H is not allowed to grocery shop by himself.  He'll come home with 234957203495 pizzas and enough soda for a small army, and nothing else. Also, I didn't read all of the posts so this might have already been mentioned, but this reminds me of the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond with the suitcase.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    tlv I was totally thinking of that episode too! 
  • Options
    We go together.  Sometimes I'll stop by the bodega to pick up something small that we run out of or I'll call him to tell him to pick something up since he has the car.  We put stuff away together.  Putting stuff on the floor is a silly idea.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• Options
    i do it all at lunch time because there is a grocery store 5 mins from my office. he is not near a grocery store at any point of the day. i like doing the shopping because im the one who cooks anyway... i like to decide what we will eat. :)
  • Options
    We both do it. Sunday morning is our errand time. We go to the Farmer's Market around 9, followed by the grocery store, then we get home and I usually put stuff away. Putting away 1 week's worth of groceries is not that bad.I make the list and do most of the cooking, but if he sees and wants something, he'll get it. He pays most of the grocery bills, too. And sometimes we'll have breakfast at the farmer's market.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    We always go together.  Its something dorky that we find fun to do together.   If we just need one or two things, one of us will just run out and get it, but for the main haul of the week, it's a team effort.  It is beyond childish that things are still sitting out in some passive aggressive stand off.  If you want his help, just say so like a normal adult would do.

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    Oh, and I always put everything away because I am super anal retentive about things being put away "right."He can help take things out of the bags, but after that he gets shooed out of the kitchen. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    I do all the grocery shopping and I put everything away.  I hate my H going with me.  He just gets so frustrated with other shoppers that's ready to explode and get out of there before I even have everything on the list.  I really enjoy the time going by myself, I can take my time and get whatever I want. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards