Options

Pizza stone

If you have one, do you love it?

Re: Pizza stone

• Options
    cobrien1976cobrien1976 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have one from Pampered Chef and I love it!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes and love it!!  Not only great for making pizza, but also great for reheating. :)
  • Options
    pinksonyapinksonya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours says to preheart in oven for 15 mins first and to transfer the already topped pizza onto the stone.  We make fresh dough. I just can't figure out how this is possible! Considering exchanging it for a nice pizza pan...
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you actually notice a difference in the way the pizza cooks? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have the PC one too and we love it!Sonya, we use a pizza peel to get it on the hot stone. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I absolutely love mine.  We use fresh dough too and I do not preheat the stone, because I stretch the dough on the stone and would definitely burn myself. I've been very happy with how the dough bakes from a room temp stone and have totally noticed a difference between the stone and the regular cookie sheets.  We've also used it for frozen pizzas and even those bake better.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We haven't used ours yet. Do you really have to use Crisco on it first?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What on earth is a pizza peel?  Wow, for how often we make homemade pizza, this is sad!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We've also used it for frozen pizzas and even those bake better.Oh yes!  It makes frozen pizza crispy and delicious! 

Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The only thing I put on mine is a healthy handful of cornmeal so the dough doesn't stick to the pan.  It works really well and I prefer that to adding a fat to the pan (I don't like my pizza to be greasy on the bottom).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    and of course by pan I mean stone. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have this one:[url]http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=11479618[/url]We make pizza a lot...and frequently when we have people over, so we need to make more than one.DH sprinkles the peel with cornmeal and assembles the pizza on the peel...then he slides it off the peel onto the hot stone (like with the oven door open, while the stone is still on the oven rack, if that makes sense?)

Search & Win
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness, if I slide my pizza off of that, while in raw dough form, it will be in a pile on the floor! Haha.  I'll give it a try, but I'm scared.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We usually top it with about a pound of vegetables.  That alone I fear will make the dough just give out when I try to transfer it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had one from BB&B that I ruined.  I knew it had to be seasoned, and I thought olive oil would work for that.  FAIL!  It stunk so bad everytime I used it.  I gave it to my mom in hopes that she could do something with it.  Next I bought one from Pampered Chef and I just cooked some greasy food on it to season it.  That worked much better!  I made pizza on it once - I just put it on cold.  I need to check out this pizza peel idea...
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm...maybe we don't roll our dough that thin?  Not sure.  Ours literally just slides right off onto the stone.I'm always scared that it is going to end up on the bottom of my oven, since DH refuses to take the stone out of the oven to transfer it.  I don't know if I could transfer it the way he does, lol.  Separate question for the stone users - how do you clean yours?  Ours is very messy looking!

Search & Win
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, I'm not sure the directions with mine even mentioned anything about seasoning... I'll have to check it out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just use steaming hot water and a plastic scraper.  DH has a problem with this, so I "clean" it when he's not around.I left mine on a hot burner on Sunday.  Oops! (I'm still trying to get used to a new kitchen.)  Now it has a giant black circle on it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    missizzmissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not a pizza stone, but lots of Pampered Chef stoneware.  I always cook something greasy on them to break them in, usually I'll bake a pound of ground beef on them.  We never use soap on ours, we just use the plastic scraper and water that comes with them.  I love when my stoneware gets dark- the darker it is, the better it cooks the food!  A family friend's small pan is actually black from using it so often for so long!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have nothing valuable to add, but pizza with a pound of vegetables on top sounds amaaaazing right now.I've never made homemade pizza. Does anyone have a good dough recipe to share?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I really need to get mine out! There are so many shower/wedding gifts we received that we have not used. Oops.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lots of cornmeal is a trick to making it slide.  Often we'll assemble on the back of a wood cutting board. We don't have a pizza peel... yet. :)  It's on my Christmas list.Molly - no Crisco!!  The only thing you need is cornmeal.  In a way it's a lot like cast iron - no oils, no soap.  Just wipe it clean.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    To clean it I wait until the stone cools and then dust as much breading debris off as I can (cornmeal, little bits of crust and crumb).  Then I run scalding hot water over it, let it soak and then scrape off the rest with one of those little plastic scrapers they give you sometimes with your PC orders (do you have any idea what I'm talking about?).  It's maybe a 2 inch plastic square, no handle that works really good at scraping stuff off.It has a few stains on it, but overall, looks pretty good.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jen (skyblue) I have a couple pizza dough recipes in my blog.  I really liked the one I used for the Buffalo Chicken pizza.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They also make the pizza pans with the holes in the bottom.  DH's mom uses hers a lot.  Wonder if that would be easier.  Less maintenance and easier to clean.  I definitely want to go with whatever makes the best pizza, though! We're between dough recipes right now.  Still haven't found a favorite.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Um, my mouth is watering reading about yummy food!  My PB&J sandwich is not going to cut it today.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Jen--I don't make my dough, but my grocery store sells dough balls near the deli. They have them in white crust and wheat.  Is Safeway or Giant your grocery store down there?  I think I found them at Safeway when I lived down that way.
  • Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i don't have much to add other than we got FI's brotehr one for his wedding and he loves it, made pizza for us once when we were visiting it was good pizza. I'm starving now
    image.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooooh, I do have a scraper thingy.  I've just be using really hot water and a Dobie pad, so that will help.  I didn't realize I want it to get darker either....good then!

Search & Win
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Coolio. Thanks for the cornmeal advice! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards