Snarky Brides

Tell me this isn't true

2»

Re: Tell me this isn't true

• What purpose does publishing it online for all to see serve?  Other than shame?As to the burden of the questionaire (annonymous or not), I don't see a whole lot of difference between requiring them to fill out an extensive survey which includes their motives and requiring them to have an ultrasound before the procedure.  And hasn't the required ultrasound been struck down?Now, if the survey was optional, not published online, and built in such a way that they could do solid analysis and identify gaps in sex ed that can be addressed...maybe.
    Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes
  • While I agree it's not exactly identifying, I can understand people's desire to prevent it.  I realize this is sort of apples-oranges, but I remember how icky I felt when I discovered there are sites which have maps that tell you what political contributions different households have made.  I don't really like knowing that someone can see where my money has gone.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • I don't really like knowing that someone can see where my money has gone.on the same token, as a parent, I would actually like to see the stats.  Might help me in a context of talking to my kids. 
  • If they were identifying abortions by household, I'd agree.  If they were identifying contributions by county, would you be concerned?
  • The proponents of the bill have said that it's to prevent abortions through shame.  They're not covering up that intent. I think it's terrible myself.  I'm with Lindsay.  I would look at a voluntary, unavailable to the general public, scientifically based study a lot differently.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • Like I said, it's an apples-oranges argument.  I was just trying to express that finding out that something I had done was made public was very unsettling with me.  And I don't consider a political contribution to be that big of a deal.  People have so little privacy left these days.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • The proponents of the bill have said that it's to prevent abortions through shame. They're not covering up that intentlawd, you must have failed reading comprehension.  The article reads as follows: "Proponents say this will prevent abortion — apparently by shaming and burdening women and doctors."The italicized portion is an opinion of the author, I believe.  Hey, not that it might not be the actual reason, but it's not the ostensible one, i'm sure.
  • Mulva, I read two other articles on it this morning actually.  With quotes.  Thanks, though.I'll look for the links but I doubt I'll find them before it's time for me to go home.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • and against my better judgment i read the stoopid bill.  I want that 5 min of my life back.The questionnaire is the for the doc to complete, not the patient.  most of it is medical crap like "was abortion necessary to save mother's life"  blah, blah, blah.  In no less than 3 places does it specify that any info that could identify the mother is not be included.  the form is to be submitted electronically to the dept of health website by the dr.  I can't really figure out how it's "published" or if it really is.  IMO, it's some bullsh*t created to make it much harder on the doctors so they'll stop offering abortion services.  If it also results in shame to the woman, I think that's just an added bonus.
  • I'll look for the links but I doubt I'll find them before it's time for me to go home. yeah, i really don't think that's all that necessary.  I'll take your word for it.
  • Well, after reading your summary of the bill, you're probably right.  It looks like it's just designed to make it more difficult to perfrom abortions.I'm sure the person who was quoted (and probably a few others) intend to shame the people getting them, but it doesn't look like that was the main intent.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • I work in a Physical Therapy office where we do comply with HIPPA and this does NOT violate the HIPPA laws.. HIPPA states " We are REQUIRED by law to protect the privacy of your medical information and to provide you with a detailed written notice describing how this clinic may use or disclose medical information about you and how you can obtain or correct this information" that was taken directly from our privacy policy.  They are say in that article that they will notify the patient that said information will be used on an online forum and that they will be using it.. The patient fills out the information they want.. They know what they're signing when they go to have an abortion.
  • Um, we also have a law that requires a doctor to perform an internal ultrasound before a patient can have an abortion. If the patient refuses to look at the screen, the doctor must describe to the patient what is on the screen. This is where I live, people. Save me.
  • I'm pretty sure that was struck down Okla. I checked to make sure the authors were not my reps.
  • Last I heard, someone has filed a suit against it, but I didn't know what the outcome was.
  • I am from a very small town. If it told me that 13 girls aged 15 had abortions in a certain year, that would be 3/4 of my class, and I'd know who they are.. so yes, that is identifying information. We protect that information on students using FERPA and Red Flag Rules for preventing identity theft, so i don't know why medical info wouldnt be protected as well. technically, you could identify someone, and that's just not right.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Nice try, but I grew up in a town of 508 people (that's five hundred eight, not 508,000) and stats on the county would not tell me who in my small town had an abortion.
  • Just a small town girlAbortin' in a Baptist worldShe got her GED and she's out...of...heeeeere
    "As of page 2 this might be the most boring argument ever. It's making me long for Rape Day." - Mouse
  • While I did enjoy Cali's song, I think I may have just fallen for Fenton.
    I'm pretty sure it's pronounced your mom's a moron and if you didn't have your name legally changed by the age of 22, so are you. Unless you're from another continent. -Groomz
  • [i]I am from a very small town. If it told me that 13 girls aged 15 had abortions in a certain year, that would be 3/4 of my class, and I'd know who they are.. so yes, that is identifying information.[/i]How are you not grasping the difference between a town and a county?
  •  the 8th grade teacher of a class of less than 30 kids is going to know which of the students had abortions whether or not non-identifying information is published on the internet.

Book Review Blog

If I were a man (or fitty) I'd totally call my penis THE WIZARD - HappyTummy
  • so, I work with HIPAA crap every day, because part of my job is to do exactly this- post clinical data on a public website. we have to be very careful about deidentification- even though the subject has signed a consent. we don't publish any info like names or initials (obviously- we aren't allowed to even have this on file anywhere), birth/death dates, etc. and we do collect the first three digits of the subject's zip code, but that's an optional data point for the doctor to submit and we don't publish that online because yes, that can be enough to identify someone with an unusual genetic disorder in a small town/county. so no, it won't be legal for anyone to publish medical records that can be in any way connected back to the person it came from.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards