Wedding Etiquette Forum

Nobel Peace Prize, anyone?

Re: Nobel Peace Prize, anyone?

• As for not knowing the criteria they use, and the other nominees, if you had done a bit of research you would know both of those.Some of the 205 Nominees:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/who-were-the-nobel-nominees/article1312931/Criteria:http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/articles/sejersted/index.htmlAnd like you said in your last post, which is completely contradictory to what you said before, we are allowed to agree or disagree.  The majority of the people in this thread disagree.  Since many of them are Obama supporters, I think it says a lot that they disagree with this particular honor being bestowed on him.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I hate to disagree with Cacoffer, because she's awesome, but I really don't see what impact Obama has had on the world.  I mean, yeah, he gives people that warm, fuzzy feeling inside, but other than that, I'm not so sure he's actually done anything.
  • "Well done is better than well said"  - Benjamin Franklin That's kind of how I fell right now.  He did a lot of talking last year, but the only thing he did was win the presidence.  Which to me is not really worthy of the NPP. If he won in 2011, 2012 after we had seen what he did not said, then I think no one would really question him getting the prize.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Hi capri :) Mainly I just think there are other candidates that have made some major impacts that helps the actual people of this world, and not just the politicians that run it. Yes, Obama reached out to other countries during his campaign. But did he directly affect anyone other than the diplomats and politicians? Other candidates are actively trying to make peoples lives better. I also suck at stuff like this, so I'm probably not proving my side very well.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • How insulting to those who actually accomplished something.   I'd be really upset too if I found out that after a lifetime of work I lost to someone who had his job for under two weeks.
  • On one hand, it's a really weird choice.  On the other hand, it'll make Republicans really mad.  Weighing those options.... I can be happy about it :D
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • On the other hand, it'll make Republicans really mad. Weighing those options.... I can be happy about it :DCongratulations on having the most immature response to this thread.  You are happy just because it makes some other people unahppy (not saying those people are any more mature, but the point still stands)?  Wow.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • What a shame that I'm busy at work today...And Alexia, you're just a fuucking hater. Seriously dude, turn on Fox every once in a while - you'll probably be a better human being for it. cacoffer- I don't believe I've ever jumped on you for anything I disagree with and if liking this man or feeling that he deserves this prize will make me a better person, then I'm thrilled to be just the way I am.Way to make yourself look like an asss.A fuucking hater? Really? What a classy and educated statement!
  • betrothed, I never stated that I personally was going to look up the factors and clearly you did after the conversation began. I don't think I was contradictory at all.  In fact, I haven't said whether I agree or disagree.  I'm just taking it for what it is. I think where I have disagreed with others is on the selection criteria and whether the committee selected him based on his 11 days in office.
  • If Obama winning the Peace Prize makes all those crazies that think he's from Kenya mad, then yes, that makes me a wee bit happy.  It's called Schadenfreude.
  • What you said was this:Regardless of how you just don't get it or understand it, he's won. He's an American president, be happy for our country that this honor was bestowed on an American.This does say that we shouldn't/can't disagree with the decision.  You're telling everyone that no matter what you think, we have to be happy with him winning.  You don't actually have to say the words "You can't disagree with it" for that to be what you are saying.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • No, we don't know the thought process behind the decision. But there were some excellent nominees, like chinese dissenter Hu Jia, who is in jail for protesting the chinese government. Or Afghan women's rights advocator Simi Samar. I would say those two candidates have worked much harder than Presient Obama did in his first 11 days of office. I completely agree with this!Honestly, cacoffer, I don't feel that this is a partisan issue at all. I have no problem with anyone from either side of the aisle willing this award if they deserve it. The problem is that there was no supporting evidence to explain why he DID win. Making people in other countries feel warm and fuzzy because we have a Dem as Pres isn't good enough of a reason for me. My liberal friends are also scratching their head. I would love to have seen Obama pass some legislation or commit some other act that qualified him for this prize. It isn't as if Obama winning would mean Republicans would be losing. The problem is that it discredits the entire Nobel Peace Price process and all prior winners because it does not hold selections to any standard.
  • The problem is that it discredits the entire Nobel Peace Price process and all prior winners because it does not hold selections to any standard. This exactly.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • I think where I have disagreed with others is on the selection criteria and whether the committee selected him based on his 11 days in office. And insulting people who disagree with you and implying that their opinions are invalid because you do not like their sources of media. Cuz that's the mature thing to do. We could turn this into "all sources of media are slanted" discussion again, but it doesn't really seem necessary considering it's completely irrelevant to the current topic.You seem to be more concerned with attacking people who you know disagree with you politcally than providing reasons why Obama should have won.
  • Regardless of how you just don't get it or understand it, he's won. He's an American president, be happy for our country that this honor was bestowed on an American.This does say that we shouldn't/can't disagree with the decision. You're telling everyone that no matter what you think, we have to be happy with him winning. You don't actually have to say the words "You can't disagree with it" for that to be what you are saying.I said be happy for our country, not happy for him.  You can't change the decision, there isn't an appeal process.  You can't do anything about, so support the President.  Just like how we may or may not support the war, but we support the troops, right?I may not have stated that in this sentence, but I believe I was clear in other statements, that I'm all for discourse. Alexia, your statements regarding the President bug me.  Seriously. You don't bug nearly as much as some of your statements do.  I just find many of your statements to be Glen Beck-ish or verging on shrillness of Anne Coulter.  I can call you a hater if I believe that to be the case.  I do. 
  • You can't do anything about, so support the President.I hate to think about the status of ours and other countries if everyone had that mindset.
  • You can't do anything about, so support the President.There are SO MANY things wrong with this statement.
  • Wonder what he'll do with the prize money.  1.4 million dollars, apparently.  I'd be ticked if I were him- just one more thing to deal with, figuring out where to put all the money.
  • Cacoffer, perhaps if you took a second to articulate your feelings on why Obama is so deserving, in your mind, of the Nobel Peace Prize, I would take a second to listen. However, considering how you are resorting to immature name calling to get your point accross, I find it difficult to take you seriously. I actually enjoy hearing opinions that are different than mine, becasue they have the ability to educate me or strengthen my foundations in my own beliefs. But when someone is so closed minded that the only way they can have a political conversation with you is to insult you, I have a hard time listening to their thoughts on who is or is not deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize.Also, maybe you should take a second to gather your thoughts and determine what you believe instead of contradicting yourself in every other post.
  • I said be happy for our country, not happy for him. You can't change the decision, there isn't an appeal process. You can't do anything about, so support the President. Just like how we may or may not support the war, but we support the troops, right?Cacoffer,I like you, I really do.  However, did you even read this statement before you hit post?  First you say support the country, not the president, and then 2 sentences later say support the president.Then your last sentence says that although you didn't support the president you still supported the troops, and you're using that to justify saying "support the president."  That doesn't even make sense.  Let alone that there is no connection between supporting the troops and agreeing with BO getting the award.You really are just going as far off topic to disgree with anyone who may not like Obama (even though that has nothing to do with this discussion) to support your argument.  SarahSmile is right on that one.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Sarah, the only person I attacked was Alexia (and that had less to do with this thread than with other statements she has made in the past).  Not people.  I disagreed with some of the statements made and I was being pretty objective.  I did not state whether I agreed or disagreed with his selection for the prize.  I don't even think I care.  I stated that perhaps, just perhaps the selection committee had more knowledge of what would be required of a recipient than the average person.  I still stand by this.
  • Alexia, your statements regarding the President bug me. Seriously. You don't bug nearly as much as some of your statements do. I just find many of your statements to be Glen Beck-ish or verging on shrillness of Anne Coulter. I can call you a hater if I believe that to be the case. I do. You were bordering on intolerant.You have crossed the line.How ignorant to seriously generalize all conservative-thinking individuals as extreme right wing pundits. You are the only irrational individual in this conversation. Congratulations.The New York Times even wrote that it questions the process of the nobel voters after this. Do they remind you of Ann Coulter, too?I like you, cacoffer. But I think you should take a second to think about how you have handled this. Alexia did nothing shrill or irrational here. She just posted her opinion. She did not attack you or your beliefs. I hate to use this word, as I haven't heard it since, like, high school, but you seem to be the "hater" here.
  • betrothed, I was using that troops example as an instance where the same logic would apply.  sarah, I know that it is hard to read inflection in posts.  Maybe my calling alexia was a little overzealous.  I don't consider myself some raving political lunatic.  I'm not.  I know that political discussion sometimes do not often lend themselves for peaceful discourse. For the record, I think you both are cool too. 
  • Totally agree with the pp's, except cacoffer, of course. It isn't an honor to America to choose an unqualified candidate. The prize is supposed to be bestowed upon someone who has DONE something to promote peace. Obama, for all his eloquent rhetoric, hasn't done anything. This isn't a political attack. The funds from the prize are intended to help promote a cause. I would like to see them given to someone who can use them to help end violence.
  • Totally agree with the pp's, except cacoffer, of course. This made me smile. ha!
  • Haha. I don't think I worded that like I meant to. I meant that I of course agree with all the pps. Not, of course I disagree with you, cacoffer, like you are some sort of lunatic. Sorry!
  • betrothed, I was using that troops example as an instance where the same logic would apply.Even then your analogy makes no snese.  We support the troops, despite disagreeing with the war because they are over there risking their lives.  It makes you a total asshat if you don't support people, who may or may not agree with the why, that are putting their lives on the line (especially if they don't agree with the resonaing for them being there).  It's a completely different situation here.  No one is hurt by people not supporting Obama in this.  It's just a matter of opinion.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • That's the first time I've been called a lunatic. It has a nice ring to it.
  • No one is hurt by people not supporting Obama in this. It's just a matter of opinion. I absolutely agree.
  • Washington DC will be re-named Obamahood by the time I die.  I have money on this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards