Colorado-Denver

***canary11***

I wanted to thank you so much for your advice on the religious aspect of getting married! So my next question for you would be, where did you end up having your ceremony? What church? See my FI is a parishener in PA, not here in CO. So we are in the midst of looking for a church to both join and get married in. Any suggestions? We live around the Cherry Creek area. Thanks so much for your advice and suggestions!Tasha

Re: ***canary11***

• VAtoCOVAtoCO member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Stupid IE just shut down and I lost a really long response...I'll try to recap.** Butting in, since I'm not Canary **I meant to post to your other thread, but hadn't gotten around to it and the other responses were good ones.  Getting married in a Catholic church is really a decision that only you and your FI can make.  IMO, it is especially important because you will be receiving a sacrament of marriage (and presumably, all the responsibilities that go along with that).Just a few thoughts about Catholic churches:- A lot of them require that you become a member before you can receive a sacrament there.  Some of them require membership for 6+ months before you can schedule a sacrament.- There don't really seem to be any resitrictions on what parish you can attend, though, and where you can receive sacraments (I come from Arlington Diocese in VA and they were very strict and you could only receive sacraments at the church that was your parish).- There are a lot of Catholic churches in the area, in close proximity to Cherry Creek.  If you're looking for not only a church to get married in - but also possibly a parish to attend - I would suggest trying out a few.  They each have a different vibe.  My FI and I go to Holy Ghost in Denver, which is also where we're getting married.  We really like it because the congregation is very diverse and we like the urban atmosphere.  HTH.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    VAtoCO, Thanks for the post! We actually were thinking of Holy Ghost to be honest. I would love to hear how it all goes, seeing you have only 15 days left! How exciting! Thanks again for the input!
  • masked_rose86masked_rose86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tasha, The others here have given you great suggestions!  Just thought I'd tell you that I'm currently not a parishioner in any parishes from CO (I grew up in CO though, but am finishing grad school in NE).  Some churches will let you marry without being a parishioner...I think it just takes some looking.  I lucked out and the church we are getting married at is the church I was baptized at!  I had to pay a little extra, but for me, to be at a church I like and means something to me, is worth it.  I'm getting married at St. Vincent de Paul which is on University and Arizona (I think sorta close to Cherry Creek).  It is a much simpler church on the inside though, so not sure if that would be your style or not.  If I didn't have the emotional ties to it, I might have considered something a little more cathedral-like on the inside.Just thought I'd pass on that the church we are marrying at allows non-parishioners as well.  Fran has a great point though that if you are looking for a home parish anyway, you should find one that suits you and then hopefully getting married there would work out too!Good luck!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • canary11canary11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Tasha, You're welcome. Since we're both in similar boats, if you ever need anything, email me at nov7wed at yahoo.com. We're having our ceremony at St. Mary's in Littleton. My fiance is a parishoner, but they did not require it. I am sure that you wont want to come all the way to Littleton for the ceremony. It seems as though many of the churches in Denver will allow non-parishoners to be married there. I have been to a catholic ceremony at the cathedral on Colfax, which was beautiful! I also drive past Lady of Lourdes on Logan quite often. Its really charming, too. It is just south of Wash Park. Ok, so I am secretly wishing that I had seen Holy Ghost earlier in my engagement. I love that church! I am going to have to go with Fran on this one. I think Holy Ghost is beautiful!! Its downtown, which is somewhat close to Cherry Creek.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • VAtoCOVAtoCO member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll definitely let you know how it all goes.  So far, so good.  Another Knottie - jforeman - is getting married there tomorrow, and I'm sure she'll post her experience. I do know - for sure - that you have to be a member of Holy Ghost to get married there. As far as other churches, I've been to Mother of God (Speer & Logan) and Good Shepherd (6th & Elizabeth).  I love Mother of God...it is a tiny little church and there is just something about it that makes me feel at home.  Maybe it is because most of the parish are elderly.  Anywho, when I first moved here, I tried to join and could not get anyone to call me back about registering there.   So, I ended up joining Holy Ghost which worked out well because FI and I really like it.  I don't feel very comfortable at Good Shepherd.  It seems like everyone that goes there has kids and I just feel kind of out of place there (especially when FI and I were just dating).  There is a school attached, so that may be why there are so many families there.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You all have given some great church ideas. My FI returns home today and I know our converaation will go well when it comes to discussing this option and all the churchs you have been so kind to suggest. Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm late to this!! I just got married at Holy Ghost and you do not have to be a parishoner to get married there. I am a registered parishoner of St. Michael's in Aurora. Holy Ghost let's you get married there if your priest will come with you. It wasn't too diffuicult to arrange, you just have to talk you your priest. St. Michael's isn't near anything and most of our guests were from OOT. I wanted to hold our ceremony and reception in nearby locations so that guests wouldn't worry about getting lost or having to rent cars. PS - I think Good Shepard is in the Cherry Creek area.
    imageimage
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    I'm writing, you're reading, everyone's happy | Daring Greatly Blog.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards