New York-Upstate

photogrpaher cost - syracuse area

Hey ladies:  So I am looking around at photogs and I have to say, I am a little shocked at the cost - it seems like all the photographers I have looked at "start" at around $2200 and go up from there.  I really like the photojournalistic/artistic style and I realize this may cost more, but this is more than I expected.  I also noticed that most packages use 2 photogs, which I don't think I need.  I am having a smaller wedding (around 80) and we are getting married on a sunday.Anyone have any recs or tips on how I can cut my costs a bit?  I really do not want to spend more than $2200.FYI - curiously enough, I live in New Jersey where everything is generally more expensive - except photogs are less expensive in NJ! 

Re: photogrpaher cost - syracuse area

• faith194faith194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Contact Renee Marquis. She has A La Carte options that are great, and you always get a second shooter! She has worked with us immensely with our budget. She does amazing work, as well! http://www.reneemarquisphotography.com/?intro=0
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Kelly Stremmel. Our package is more than what you are looking to spend but I believe that she has more affordable packages. I also know that she will lower her price if you dont want extra items (photo books, engagement sessions, a CD of all images, etc.) Good luck.
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Dan at PhotoEmphasis. www.photoemphasis.net He is based out of Rochester but he does go to Syracuse as well. His pictures are awesome (check out my bio) and his prices are very reasonable! He also listens to exactly what you want as far as pictures go. He does a variety of styles. I wanted a more photo journalistic feel as well and for our engagement pictures I did not want a lot of "posed" shots. He gave us exactly what I wanted! He also gives you a CD with all the images he takes and you get the rights to the photos as well so you can print as many as you want and do whatever you want with them. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I tottally agree. I have been having the same problem. It's not that I am trying to be cheap but when planning on a small budget you can't afford $2,500 in photography. I just looked at all these suggestions and they are all around the same price! Does anyone know someone who can do a wedding for around $1,500??? Thanks!-also planning from out of town ...
  • edited December 2011
    Funny! I am getting married in Syracuse and live in NJ:)I am using Ed Guarente...I am spending about 1800 but that included engagement photos, 2 parent albums, a book for us, bridal portrait session and day of the wedding. He also has different "plans" and I took a higher one. His photos are amazing! Be sure to give him a call:)
    BabyFruit Ticker < br > Visit The Nest! Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • jh10678jh10678 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure exactly what you are looking for but just as an idea here's a website to look at http://caitlynbom.com/ Her package is $1200 and that includes an engagement shot, two photographers, 10 hours of coverage, all of your negatives and a coffee table style book. She has a young fresh approach to her pictures..
  • faith194faith194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you check out Renee Marquis' A La Carte--that is what we did. . .250 images,  4 hours, 2 shooters for around 1700.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I have a friend who is a photographer in the syracuse area who is very reasonable and he has an artistic style. http://www.staticmoments.com/. Toher wasys to cut down costs are to not get an album or to make one yourself after using mpix or blurb.  GL.
  • edited December 2011
    try Vanessa Finch www.vfinchphotography.com She did our wedding ansd was EXTREMELY reasonable in price - I paid less than 2000 for all day photos, and engagement session AND basic albums - no coffee table style books though - that was extra. and I got CD with the pics.. if you want to se our pictures go to www.pictage.com/624812
  • leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies for all the great recommendations!  I am checking outwebsites now!!!Leah
  • edited December 2011
    If you are still checking things out, we used Emmanuel Vaucher and he was very willing to provide a discounts. He only has one package, but that includes 400-600 prints, all images on dvd, and all day coverage. For less than 2k. His website is emanphoto.com.
  • anastasia80anastasia80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If any of you brides are still looking for a photographer, definitely check out Ferry Huang Photography.  His package is under $1500, and he gives you the rights to print all of your pictures, not a lot of photographers do that.Here's his website: http://www.ferryhuangphotography.comBy the way, he's not from the area, but he's willing to travel to wedding locations.  Good luck girls!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards