Florida-North Florida

Rehearsal Dinner Food

We're having a cookout at our local park for our rehearsal dinner.  I'm going to be making all the food myself to save money.  We're going to be serving hamburgers and hot dogs for the entrees.What sides would you like to see if you were coming to our rehearsal dinner?  Preferably something I can make a day ahead of time and keep in the fridge.

Re: Rehearsal Dinner Food

• brittjoy84brittjoy84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yikes Navy! You will have so much going on that day. I would suggest going to Sam's or whatever wholesale place you have to get giant pre-made sides like potato salad, giant bags of lettuce and veggies for salad, beaked beans, etc.
  • katiek200katiek200 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree Britt, go to sams and buy everything pre-made. Potato salad, veggie tray, baked beans should be good. Try to limit the work you have to do~!
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally might do that.  I haven't looked too much into it.  But still, what would you want to eat, whether I make it or not?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... just a question, you're doing Sonnys for the wedding right? If so I would avoid foods that you'd be serving at the wedding if possible. Whats your wedding menu?
  • clseale13clseale13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Potato salad, chips, fruit w/some dip. You can buy some pre cut fruit and make fruit kabobs. If you take a package of vanilla pudding mix and mix it into a tub of cool whip it makes an easy yummy fruit dip!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • pag41989pag41989 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are thinking about doing the same thing and just buying some meat at max meats and grilling ourselves. They are supposed to sell bulk meat for super cheap. We are proabably going to sams for the sides. The only problem is my family refuses to pay for it because they are old fashioned and thinks that the grooms family should handle the rehearsal dinner so Im kinda stuck inbetween a rock and a hard place :(
  • jodipplsjodippls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that it's going to be a lot of work! I think going the prepackaged rounte would be best. Potato salad, macaroni salad, green salad (veggie) and chips/dip would be good.
  • duncanpowersduncanpowers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto on the potato salad and baked beans. Those are a must for a cookout, and they keep forever.
    edited December 2011
    We won't really be having cookout food at the wedding.  This is our wedding menu:Pulled pork, chicken, and beef briskitCorn on the cob, baked potato, salad, and then something else (haven't figured out which other side yet)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, those are cookout foods, but it's a slightly different kind of cookout.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I lump all those foods together also, there are definitely some overlap on the potential side dishes.  Just keep those different and everyone should be happy. Make sure there are veggie options either way, not just carbs/potatoes/meats.
    edited December 2011
    Well, those are cookout foods, but it's a slightly different kind of cookout.See, I consider hamburgers and hot dogs cookout food and Sonnys BBQ.  No cookout I have ever been to had baked potatoes or corn (sadly).
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you do decide to do something like potato salad (or anything else mayo based) please keep a cooler with ice around to keep it in. I know so many people who get sick from cookouts because they had something that was sitting out for way too long. I would hate for any of your wedding party to become sick the day of your wedding.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    edited December 2011
    jagore -- Thanks for that.  Now I probably won't do anything mayo based.  lol
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Technically, BBQ food is cookout: BBQ Cookout is a style of cooking. Anything you can cook on the grill is included in that, and I have seen corn at cookouts, though baked potatoes not as much. Now, yes, hot dogs and hamburgers are not BBQ--they are more like tailgating. But, the sides do overlap. You won't really find many sides that don't go with one and not the other. That said, mayo based is still fine--just be sure and keep them in a cooler prior to serving, just like you would with the meat.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is making me hungry for BBQ :) I havent seen a sonny's since I loved to Miami!!
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry, I agree with DP.  Whether or not there is a difference between cookout and barbecue foods, the sides that you would serve with pulled pork tend to be the same sides you would serve with hamburgers and hot dogs. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm with DP. Sonnys/BBQ = Cookout food. Look at the sides you eat with both: coleslaw, BBQ beans, corn, potato salad - It's all the same.
    edited December 2011
    Aww shucks guys.  I never personally thought about them being the same kind of food, but I guess ya'll are right.Maybe we should serve pasta or something for the rehearsal dinner?  Or do you think it would be fine to do the cookout at the rehearsal dinner as long as the sides are different?
  • edited December 2011
    Even though they're the same kind of food, as long as there are different options at each event I think you'll be fine.
  • edited December 2011
    Pasta wouldn't be a bad idea.. You could probably get it catered for pretty cheap.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Olive Garden Catering is pretty cheap.
  • edited December 2011
    mmmm.... olive garden!
    edited December 2011
    Mmm...might have to look into pasta now.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes olive garden is a great cheap idea- you could do two pastas, the salad, and breadsticks~!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards