Ohio-Northeast

wedding dress after wedding

What did everyone do with their wedding dress after the wedding?  I know they do preservation and what not but I didn't know if it was worth it.  I loved my dress but currently it's sitting in our spare room on a chair still slightly dirty on the bottom from the wedding! Thanks!

Re: wedding dress after wedding

• edited December 2011
    I'm going to try and sell mine.  My parents think I'm crazy, but what am I going to do with a dress in a box?  If it can make someone else feel beautiful on their day and I can recoup some costs, why not try?I'll be posting pics and such once I get a married bio going.
  • MrsLeleMrsLele member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is also in our spare room. I certainly won't sell it, even though I know I could get $$$ for it.....I don't want to preserve it, either, because that means you can't try it on anymore! :) I think I will just have it cleaned and leave it at that....now if I could just bring myself to take it to the cleaners....
    BFP#1: 1/24/12, MC 2/5/12 @6 wks BFP#2: 4/3/12, EDD 12/11/12 Baby Girl born 11/23/12!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Henri and Charlotte, Christmas 2012 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress cleaned and preserved and I am so glad I did.  I couldn't bear selling it to someone else, even though I won't be needing it anymore - it just means a lot to me.  At the very least, you should get it cleaned.  The sweat, dirt, etc. will cause staining if you don't (and they say to have it cleaned within 3 months of the wedding--how much of that is true, I don't know).  If you're going to keep it, I say preserve it.  If you don't preserve it, it's going to start turning yellow.  My SIL didn't have hers preserved - her wedding was almost 3 years ago - her dress is no longer white, but yellow.  In my opinion, why spend all that money to have the dress end up ruined?  Really, the decision is entirely up to you, but IMHO, you should either sell it or preserve it.  The preservation cost (which wasn't even that much) was worth it to me :)
  • JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my dress cleaned, but not preserved. It's presently hanging in my closet in a vented garment bag. Not sure exactly what I'll 'do' with it. LOL. My wedding was 4+ years ago though and the dress is still white, NOT yellow. Maybe it depends on the dress as to how fast it might yellow?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kmbeyerkmbeyer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I plan on having mine shaped into a cocktail dress and using the bottom half to make bumpers for a baby's crib. Obviously all of this is a far way off since the wedding isn't until July!
  • edited December 2011
    I just got mine cleaned. It's been 4 months since I was married and the lady at the dry cleaners said she was afraid she couldn't get the stains out. Well see come next Tuesday, right? I'm going to sell it at Julianne's. They gave me a small bag of the scraps from my alterations so I figure that if my future, fictitious daughter wants a piece of my dress in hers she can have that. I also intend on keeping my tiara so she borrow that as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    JKOhio - I agree... I think discoloration might depend on the fabric the dress is made of and how it is stored.  Presently, I don't think my SIL's dress is even in a bag - just in the closet!  I should've been more clear - a dress MAY yellow depending on it's fabric and how it is stored.
  • juliet1503juliet1503 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm. . . good question. lol. Ditto to the spare-roomesque storage. :) I thought about donating it to the Brides Against Breastcancer folks and prior to the wedding, I was 100% sure of it. . . . but since then, I have this panic feeling everytime I consider it. lol. I will likely have it cleaned in the next couple of months, but I'm not sure preservation is worth it, either. My mom told me these horror stories about girls on the news who found that they didn't actually have THEIR dress is the box but someone else's or a cheap replacement. Yeah, thanks mom for a side of paranoia. lol.
  • edited December 2011
    I am also planning on cleaning and preserving my dress (I just love it to much to part with it right now).  I am kind of new to the area (been here since April, but had the wedding in PA, so I am not at all familiar with NE Ohio resources).  Can anyone sugesst a place to get my dress cleaned and preserved in the Brunswick/Medina/Strongsville area?  Thanks so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards