Catholic Weddings

FOCCUS anxiety

So, FI and I have discussed everything under the sun and have always seen eye-to-eye, yet somehow, the prospect of taking the FOCCUS test terrifies me. I have always had severe test anxiety, so I have this fear of "failing" and our sponsor couple/priest saying we aren't allowed to get married (irrational, I know, but I can't help it). We've already talked about the huge things in life sex, children, retirement, alcohol, etc.) and have had a lot of life experience together, so we feel prepared for a life together... Is the FOCCUS a big scary deal? Is it possible to "fail"? Thanks in advance, ladies :)

Re: FOCCUS anxiety

• edited December 2011
    You can't fail it. DH and I have discussed just about everything as well. There were still a few areas that we disagreed with on the test. Turns out it was because we had simply read the question differently in each case. Not a big deal. The entire point is for the test to be a conversation starter between you and the other couple.
  • girllennongirllennon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's no such thing as failing FOCCUS. It only points out areas that you both may not see eye-to-eye on. When we took it in February, some of the questions were a little ambiguous, so we gave questionable responses b/c of how it was worded. There's really nothing to worry about and it's not really necessary to be anxious, just relax, take your time on the questions and you'll be fine.
    Joseph Michael - 12/22/2010
    5lbs 9 oz, 18.5 inches long
    6 months: 16lbs 15 oz, 27 inches long

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • eponvilleeponville member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can't fail- its not a test- the point of the "inventory" as everyone lies to call it- is to bring your attention to certain topics that might not have come up yet.We didn't take the FOCCUS- we took "prepare enrich" and there were a couple of categories that we scored really low in because we had not discussed the topic in depeth quite yet or we read the questions wrong. we had a mentor couple that went over the results with us and it was very helpfull. We found it very helpful because it brought up alot of great discussion.
  • edited December 2011
    I had similar anxiety before we took the FOCUS test.  Don't worry, it was really not a big deal.  It's pretty much just making sure that you've talked about the important issues.  I really wouldn't stress over it too much.  You two will be fine.
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • knwithamknwitham member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our priest let us take home the FOCCUS test booklet with questions, so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask! Shoot me an email if you'd like knwitham@gmail dot com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards