Moms and Maids

Question for MOBs / MOGs

H and I got our wedding pics back FOREVER ago, but we've been incredibly busy, and are just now getting around to doing album work.Our package included on album with 135 pics for us, and what we thought were two smaller albums with 20 pics each for parents. Apparently the package really contains one album for us, and FOUR smaller albums.Now that I'm working with the album designer, I've discovered that there might be a possibility for us to, instead of the four 20-pic albums, get two 5x5 albums that are replicas of the larger album that H and I are getting (i.e. they would have all of the pictures that our album would have) for a small increase in price.Our plan is to give the albums as part of our gift to our parents this holiday season, but I'd like some opinions from some MOB/MOGs.  As a MOB/MOG, would you prefer to have two copies of the smaller album with the 20 pictures you chose (well, actually 10 pictures - all four albums would have to be the same, so each set of parents was allowed to pick 10 pictures), or would you rather have 1 copy of the 5x5 album with all of the pictures that H and I have chosen, along with a larger framed picture of one of the group pictures that you chose for the album (e.g. each set of parents chose as one of their pictures the group shot with their family and either H or myself).TIA for your advice.  :)

Re: Question for MOBs / MOGs

• handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the smaller one for me.  Mostly because so many folks ask to see pics of my daughter's reception, so it's easier to carry it around.    If you're considering a price increase anyway, I would ask if there's a price increase for each of the 4 to be different.  Because truthfully, I really don't care to include pics of my X-H (DD's dad), and would like to have one, for example, that we took of my 2 sisters, myself, and DD.  Not sure if DD's inlaws want the one of my sisters, me and DD, KWIM? 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MOB and MOG here.  I'd rather have the album with the pictures I chose myself.  Honestly, I don't really think I need nor particularly want pictures of my DD's MIL's family members.  I'll never see them again.While they'd be an album for DD and SIL, they're really her family, not mine.  Do you see what I'm saying?I expect that we'd choose very different photos to include.  Hope this helped.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    So, you both would rather have an album with 10 pictures you chose yourself, and ten pictures that the "other side" chose, than an album with 130 some pictures that your child and their spouse chose?(Fwiw, there's A LOT of overlap)
    edited December 2011
    hr: if I'm getting 20 pictures in my album, why can't I get 20 pictures that I choose?  I've never really heard of a photographer insisting that both parents albums be identical.  That just doesn't make any sense at all!
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    That's just the way this package works, unfortunately.  :(All four albums are required to be identical (I'm assuming it's to cut down on design costs).That's why I was leaning towards just giving each set of parents one copy of a miniature version of the main album that H and I chose.  All but one or two pics from each of the parents lists is one that H and I included in our main album, and the missing pics are the formal shots we were planning on printing and framing for them.Also, fwiw, each parent already has a disc with all of the photos, both in high res and low res format, and has full rights to print as they see fit.
    edited December 2011
    hr, if that's the case, then I'd want all pictures.  I'd take the ones out that I want and give the rest back to DD and SIL.
  • edited December 2011
    Agree. All pics
  • edited December 2011
    I would always want as many as possible!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No parent wants a photo album that's half full of their family's photos from the wedding and half full of the other family's photos from the wedding. No parent I know of wants an album of 135 pics. That's crazy. >>Also, fwiw, each parent already has a disc with all of the photos, both in high res and low res format, and has full rights to print as they see fit. There's your solution. We made my mom a photo album of the bride's side family and friends and some of the bridal couple - about 40 pics, plus a "brag album" of 20 pics, plus a framed photo of bride and groom, and we made DH's parents a photo album of the groom's side family and friends and some of the bridal couple - 20 pics, plus a dual frame with two pics of the bride and groom You need to re-work your arrangement with your photographer.
  • morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No parent I know of wants an album of 135 pics. That's crazy.This Mom might be crazy -- but I definitely want more than 135 photos in an album!My daughter was just married on Friday.  Pro-pics will not be done for several weeks.I have already uploaded over 700 photos to a Shutterfly account that friends and family took on the wedding day.I want a lot of photos.OP - I would select option #2 - a 5x5 album.Btw, I have lurked on The Knot for many months -- and I follwed your planning and wedding over on the P&E board. Your wedding was amazing.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the opinions, everyone. We went with the two 5x5 albums w/ 130+ pics.  Like I said, all of the pics that each set of parents chose initially (even the alternates that I asked them to choose in case both sets chose the same pics) are in the album that H and I put together, minus a group shot of just H with his family, and group shot of me with my family, so we're just going to have those blown up a bit and framed for the respective parents.This way they get all of the pics they wanted, plus some.  Also, fwiw, our designer encouraged us to stay away from too many big group shots and to focus more on pics of H & I, and the wedding itself, so it's not as if either parent is going to have to flip through a lot of pics of people they don't know.  And I'm pretty sure that 5 x 5 should still be small enough to cart around to share with their friends...or at least I hope so.Anyway, thanks again.  :) Oh, and thanks for the compliment, morainemom - it was a lot of planning and drama, but I think it was worth it in the end.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    Since you are getting all the pics on disk - why not make your own parent book from Shutterfly or other site.  After getting the price from my Photographer I decided I could do the parent books myself... I hope, looks easy enough.  If not I can always go back to the PH.
  • edited December 2011
    Karen,We went with the professional photog's album designer because the quality is exponentially better.  We used MyPublisher to make our own guestbook using our epics, and we liked it for that purpose (and we'll probably be using it to make a photobook of our honeymoon pics), but MyPublisher photobooks really aren't the caliber books that you want to use to archive wedding photographs. The album designer uses Asuka albums - one of the best (if not THE best) albums on the market.  If I could get one of THOSE albums myself, I'd definitely design them, but since I can't (Asuka will only sell to registered professional photographers), I'm going to let the designer do it for me and just eat the extra cost.Fwiw, if you're looking for an album designer who will designer for you as long as you have the rights to your photos, AND has access to Asuka books because she works directly with several photographers, you can check out the one I'm using:[url]www.alchemyalbums.com[/url] Or, if you're still set on doing your own parents' albums, please please please do NOT use something like Shutterfly.  If you're going to do it yourself, go through either Mpix (the one most photographers will recommend for printing your photos if you have the rights to them) or MyPublisher (more user friendly, but still higher quality than most other consumer photobooks) to do it.  I think you (and your parents) be MUCH happier with the finished product this way.Signed,An amateur photographer with some wedding photography experience.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards