Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cutting cake with naval sword

My grandfather was in the navy, and used his sword to cut the cake on his wedding day. We still have that sword now that he has passed away, and were interested in using it to cut our cake. My fiance isn't in the navy, nor am I, so we just wanted to make sure that it wasn't offensive. We're considering my dad making some announcement that it's in loving memory of him, etc. Has anyone had experience with this armed force tradition?

Re: Cutting cake with naval sword

• kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I think it would lovely and I've been on active duty for over 23 yrs! The announcement would be a nice way to clue the guests in to the importance of your g'father's saber.  Good luck!
  • kelliruskellirus member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is completely fine, as a member of the Marine corps i double checked with a few guys here on base. Make the announcement and use the saber, I would practice a few times if i were you (they can be a bit hard to manage) Good luck and have fun!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's a great way to incorporate your grandfather! Esp since pp said it was ok.
  • chosen175chosen175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's an awesome idea! I'd do a little research first, though, and make sure they didn't use lead or anything else you wouldn't want to ingest when they made those old sabers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards