Catholic Weddings

Flower Girl??

Hi Ladies,In figuring out the details for our ceremony, I have found that we are not able to drop flower petals (or anything) at our church. I'm guessing that would be the case at most catholic churches, is that so? And since our Flower Girl can't drop/throw petals, does that mean she should get a bouquet? Some of the pictures I've seen for flower girl dresses show them holding a sort of flower wand (a tiny bunch of flowers attached to a stick with ribbon wrapped around). What are you going to do for your flower girl?

Re: Flower Girl??

• edited December 2011
    We can't have petals either.... Our flower girl is carrying a mini-bouquet similar to mine. :o)
    BFP#1: 3/9/11 Natural m/c: 3/21/11
    BFP#2: 7/21/11 DS born 3/23/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Pib. She had a ball of flowers hanging from her hands.
  • edited December 2011
    sorry one more thing. When she actually walked, she held it in her hands, not up to her elbow like that.
  • edited December 2011
    Our church won't allow scattered petals either.  I've seen it done several ways... a mini bouquet, a basket of tied flowers, a corsage, a pomander/ ball of flowers like the picture in the previous post, flowers in the hair, etc.  I think we might actually just have the flower girls carry a single flower each with a ribbon...possibly a daisy!  I think it's cute and simple, making it easy for the girls to hold on to.  Good luck!
  • Tuneful_BrideTuneful_Bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We actually had two flower girls who carried flowers for the Marian devotion. I collected their little bouquets at the appropriate time in the ceremony, and those were the flowers we placed before the statue of Mary.
  • edited December 2011
    I know a few churches that permit it but I'm not sure about the one we are getting married in.  The priest we are dealing with wasn't 100% sure either so he was going to check with the Pastor.  If we can't toss petals then she will carry a pomander ball (the flower ball in the picture).
  • edited December 2011
    We had 2 Fgs and each had a single rose they walked down the aisle and gave to each mother. I have also seen pomanders ( flower ball things on ribbons) and the FG bringing the flowers to mary
  • kmiller1012kmiller1012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not having FG's but my sister had 2 and they carried small baskets with flowers in them that matched our bouqets.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think our church will allow it either. Doesn't matter though, since I had already decided that our FG and RB are going to carry a banner (much like you would see in a parade, but tinier) that has "Here Come the Bride" embroidered on one side and "Just Married" embroidered on the other, in our wedding colors. We can use the "Just Married" one for our table at the reception.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • edited December 2011
    My priest didn't say we weren't allowed to have petals so I think we are because I think he would have told us we weren't allowed to when he told us we weren't allowed to have an aisle runner. We have to pay for a porter also so that's another reason I think we're allowed to have petals because otherwise there really wouldn't be anything for the porter to sweep up afterwards.
  • edited December 2011
    Our church had it written in the guidelines that flowergirls are not allowed to throw petals.  I really had my heart set on it, so I talked to the priest.  Negotiated, if you will.  The deal is that we are allowed to have the flowergirls throw petals under the condition that they are white petals only, that there is an aisle runner that the petals are being dropped on, and that someone is responsible for cleaning them up afterward.  Not too hard, right?  I would seriously just ask about it.  If they still say no, I agree with the pomander thing.  I think it would be really cute.  Or you could have her carry a basket of flowers (arrangement) but not throw them.  That could be really pretty too.  Good luck!!
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • edited December 2011
    I'm late posting on this but we had two flower girls who each had a basket of carnations in our colors and they handed one to each row. [img]http://tinyurl.com/yle8jdc[/img] [img]http://tinyurl.com/ykog88b[/img]
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • edited December 2011
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards