Registry and Gift Forum

How to tell people where you are registered?

Hi, we will be registering for our gifts Sunday and we already have those little cards saying we're registered at Crate and Barrel. Now do we put those in our Save the Dates that will go out first or wait until we send out our actual wedding invitation? We are getting married in another state so most people that are far away aren't aware of us registering anywhere.
"All adventurous women do."-GIRLS

Re: How to tell people where you are registered?

• don't use the cards. It's tacky, it will look like your just in it for the gifts. Gift registry isn't rocket science. Your parents will spread the word, You can put it on an accomodation card if you have one for your invites. But no registry info goes directly on the invite itself. Or make a website for people to be directed to.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The best answer is to tell people by word of mouth only (at least that is what the sticklers will tell you).  There are other options though (which I am using myself) to get the word out:A) Use your Save The Dates to direct guests to your wedding website and put registry info in there, with a "disclaimer" at the top that says something like..."While your presence at our wedding is all we ask, for those who have inquired about where we have registered at, here is that information" and then list themB) you can have someone include registry information in your shower invites, should someone host a shower for you.  But please, do not put any registry info in with your actual wedding invitations -- all gift information should be subtle and almost like an after-thought.  A lot of people get rubbed the wrong way if registry info is included with STDs or invites....so your safest bet is steer clear of that altogether.Whew, that got wordy --- sorry about that!  Hope this helps you though!
  • Toss the cards.  Even in shower invites (the ONLY acceptable place to give registry info) I find them obnoxious.Just skip them all together.
  • People will assume you've registered somewhere. Most people do. They'll ask you, your families, or your wedding party about it.Or else they'll give you something not on your registry, or cash. Which won't be the end of the world.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • You never include any information on any mailing about your registry. If people want to know, they will ask you or your parents. It is inappropriate to put it directly on the invitation or on anything included within the invitation. The only exception is that it is sometimes ok to include registry info in shower invitations.
  • Guests don't need to know about the registry until the actual invites go out. If someone gets an STD and is either booked or doesn't want to travel, they can call and ask bride/groom/parents about registries.In the 21st century it seems to be common to put a link to the wedding website on the invitation, and then link to registry information from there. Whether this is "appropriate" or not, wev; it's pretty much the norm.

1st year anniversary in Victoria with a killer whale topiary!
  • Thank you for that great idea! I will definitely put our wedding website on our invitation. Also, I think we shall toss those cards and not put them in any invite. I know our parents and families will know to spread the word as to where we are registered. Thank you all for your helpful information!
    "All adventurous women do."-GIRLS
  • Well, if you're Ivanka Trump you can let the New York Times tell people for you! Has anyone else been following this story? InStyle.com has a good recap: Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} http://tinyurl.com/yfrdllm
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards