Wedding Etiquette Forum

Best housewarming invite ever!

I haven't been on in forever but I wanted to share this with you ladies.H and I received an invitation to a housewarming via facebook today.The invitation ended with "If you cannot attend you may still participate as my address is listed below. Your monetary gifts or gift cards from Ikea will be greatly appreciated." :OKlassy.

Re: Best housewarming invite ever!

• Dude, stop talking smack about my housewarming party. You're just lucky we didn't ask for Pottery Barn gifts.
  • Ikea? Pfft. Leather couches only, please. And Le Creuset. Nothing under $250.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Ditto what msmerymac said ;)
  • I would send them a nickle and some of the Swedish meatballs from Ikea. I take that back. Those meatballs are way too fantastic to waste on them.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• LOL ya'll crack me up.Man when my husband says something is bad etiquette you know you've done it!I think my jaw fell on the floor. I know this person is just starting out which is why I gave her some furniture and small appliances that we no longer needed because we got duplicates from the wedding but this is just bold.
  • this is so weird.  i've seen a few posts recently about people being crude with housewarming parties.  i had no idea people registered for these?  we'd like to have a housewarming party when we get settled in.  to welcome a few close friends to our home and let them see what we got ourselves into.  the most i'd expect (expect isn't the right word, but anyway) is a bottle of wine or something. on what planet are housewarming parties gift grabbing events?
  • My "housewarming parties" have always consisted of my throwing some snacks and cocktails together and inviting friends over. I do not get all this registering and whatnot. Then again, I live in an apartment and know almost no one in my area who actually owns a house.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I actually didn't go to my MOH's housewarming because we had a family thing, but I also didn't bother to get her a gift. If she hadn't registered and informed people of said registry in her invite, I probably would have gotten her a little something.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Wow... Maybe they were kidding?? The last housewarming I went to I got them a Venus fly trap... I was pretty excited...
  • I fuucking hate people.  I don't even know them.  But, I hate them.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • I don't know when housewarmings turned into an occasion to rake in gifts but the request for money is what floored me. Who not only asks for gifts but for money to furnish their new home?To a housewarming I usually take a bottle of wine or a plant. It would never cross my mind to give a check.
  • p.s. bajan every time you show up, you've got a new sig pic where you look gorgeouser than the one before. no fair! i'm jealousE.
  • This reminds me of a "wedding" invitation I got last week. I say "wedding" because they just got married at the JOP last month but she still wants her pretty princess day and has her maiden name listed on the invitation even though she already took his last name. On a insert with the invitation they listed a "Gifts" column and said "Money would be greatly appreciated. However, we are also registered at Macy's". Nice.
  • Thanks Daff!She isn't kidding. I thought she was when she mentioned it about a month ago. At that point I told H I'd give her a card with the a $35 Target gift card I get from my job every quarter. I figured it was free so it was no big deal  and it wasn't a tacky regift because who demands to be given a gift card anyway? Now I see that my gift card would be totally wrong cuz it is the wrong store.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards