Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

I need help with my Father/Daughter dance.

So my wedding is in 9 days and I have to find a father/daughter dance. My dad and I dont really get along too well. Well, I guess its more his wife that I can't get along with. She loves drama and fighting, and well I don't. Anyways, we haven't talked in over a year and the other day, out of no where he messages me on my facebook. He wanted to know if he could please come to my wedding. So, I went ahead and told him he could, but now I need a song for us to dance to. I would prefer a rock or classic rock song, because all the rest of the music is rock. Thanks for your help ladies.

Re: I need help with my Father/Daughter dance.

• ravynsmommyravynsmommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really dont want to do the dance, but hes trying to guilt me into letting him walk me down the aisle. So instead I told him I would dance with him, because I would rather my mom give me away. I feel really bad that I feel the way I do about him,but we've never really had a good relationship.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I've decided that Im not going to pick out any certain song. I don't even know for sure if he's going to show up. If he wants to dance, then we can dance to one of the songs being played already.
  • edited December 2011
    I think that is for the best. Sorry to butt in, but I agree that there is no need to placate him when he isn't a large part of your life. Your wedding is the only day completely devoted to you. Enjoy it.
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i would never want to have the spotlight on me and my father if we were not close; it just comes across fake and uncomfortable.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So, I ended up not dancing with him at all. And he was mad at me because I had my mom walk me down the aisle. Oh well I guess. It's like I told my mom, you don't get to go your whole life being a crappy father and then get to do all the special things a parent does.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh no no, sweetie.  Don't let your dad guilt you into ANYTHING.  It's YOUR day, not his.  If he's allowed someone else to come between you and your relationship, then it's his fault, not yours.  However, I want to be supportive to you because this happened to my cousin (who is also my cousin and one of the bestest friends I could ever ask for) and she flat out told her dad no.  He's basically a fair-weather dad and only remembers her at Christmas...and totally forgets her birthday.  The only reason she has any kind of relationship with her dad is because of her stepmom, but Tricia walked herself down the aisle.  She was proud of it too, it was her message to everyone about her independence, however, I'm having my uncle walk me.  My dad has no part in my life whatsoever, and I'd tell him flat out no.  My uncle (the only real "dad" I have left) is walking me and I couldn't be happier.  It's your day, and if you want someone of a male influence that has kept a good relationship with you to do it, ask them, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to.Lots of support and hopefully you'll overcome this.  Believe me, I know it's a huge obstacle to cross, don't feel obligated.--Jessie
    Anniversary

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards