Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake and Budget Questions

I consider myself to be on a budget (and by that I just mean being reasonable about my spending) and my fiance really wants something simple for the cake. We both also decided that, in addition to the simple design, we just want to get a two-tiered cake and then serve a dessert platter with things like chocolate covered strawberries.

Our wedding reception is in a historic building in downtown Orlando and our theme is vintage travel (the restaurant located in the historic building is Ceviche and features Spanish cuisine).

Anyway, I just wanted to ask what other brides thought was the best way to go about purchasing a cake? What were your cake budgets like and how did you make sure not to go overboard?

Thanks!

Re: Cake and Budget Questions

• Options
    ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Basically, the more ornate the decoration on your cake, the more expensive it is. Buttercream is also considerably more affordable than fondant, and real flowers are more affordable than sugar flowers. 

That being said, I looked at cake pictures online, and brought them with me when I met with various bakers. I made my decision on what baker could give me what I wanted for the best price with the best tasting cake. 
    The truth behind a well laced dress
  • Options
    michelle227michelle227 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP.  I also recommend checking out a few bakeries.  Some charge for a cake based on per slice.  Others charge based on the flavor(standard vs more exotic), filling, butter cream vs. fondant, how intricate the design is, etc.  You may also find that you prefer a certain bakeries cake and butter cream vs. another.  
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd ask your local board, if it's at all active.  They might be able to point you in the direction of an affordable but delicious wedding cake baker.
  • Options
    bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

To keep costs down, choose a standard flavor and/or filling. Gourmet flavors and fillings usually cost more.

Select a simple design in buttercream frosting.  Fondant is much more expensive and usually the more intricate the design, the higher the cost. 

To give your little 2-tier cake a 'boost' - use a pretty pedestal cake plate.  You or someone in your family may already have one suitable to use, that way you can avoid a rental fee.

Choose a baker that is close to your venue site to avoid costly delivery fees.

Hope these help!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We taste tested several local bakers. Many of them were way too expensive. I couldn't see spending $600-700 on a cake. We went with a much more affordable baker and it was just as good.

We did a three tiered wedding cake for about 100 guests. We also did 1 sheet cake for only $15 that served an additional 20 ppl or so. Not all of our guests ate cake, so we not only had the wedding cake leftover, but the whole sheet cake as well. But it did get eaten, so I guess that is all that matters.
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with going to grocery store bakeries.  Many of them have very nice 2 tiered cakes that are reasonable.  Buttercream is always a good choice as is cream cheese frosting.  If you want fondant and fancy airbrushing and scrollwork, it will cost more.  I know of a bakery that offers wedding cakes with or without fillings. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you considered cupcakes? They would work nicely with your dessert buffet idea.

We're having cupcakes because they were less expensive on a per-slice basis, it gives you more flavour options, and my baker told us that more guests in them compared to a slice of cake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow! Thanks for all the great advice. A friend of mine who bakes just offered to bake our wedding cake as a present.

We were looking more for simple designs anyway, so that probably would have saved us there.

I may consider the cupcake idea though (to add to the cake my friend is making), I think that would be a great addition to the dessert table. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards