South Asian Weddings
Options

Afraid of sp.occassion dress shopping...

I really have no cute Indian wear and I really want something nice for my BM's upcoming wedding.  We are like sisters so its not just any old wedding.  I have a few pretty saris I bought like 6 years ago so I usually wear those to weddings (and have been doing so WAY before my time, lol). I hate dress shopping, spent about 10 minutes total shopping for both of my ceremonies and 3 costume changes haha.  I know Edison is seriously overpriced compared to India so I've always refused to set foot there.  But really, how much can i expect to spend?  $300?  $200?  Any recs on where to go?  I'm terrified!  lol

Re: Afraid of sp.occassion dress shopping...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't help with store names, unfortunately, but I had a few girlfriends buy really cute embroidered saris with the pre-stitched blouses for my wedding and they spent about $100 - $150 each. Maybe Edison prices are cheaper than DC since there's more competition?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah but I'm tired of saris, that is my standard thing, and they always make me feel old.  I've never really had a nice lengha (?) outfit or anything like that.  Just wondering how much you guys spend when you buy a cute one of those =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    V- love the news siggy pics...I am not from Edison, but I went I started w/ the stores listed in the SA bio...And I felt they had alot more selection than the stores here in Houston. (and the latest trends) I ended up getting mine from Om the Origin-there are actually 2 stores-I went to the one that they consider " less formal".  I didn't want anything too heavy-so I always told the stores I was looking for a lengha for my mendhi/sangeet.  You can get a really nice lengha for under $200 easily.  The Om the Origin I went to was in the same shopping center as Bombay Talk (yummy fast food).  Also, in that same shopping center at the opposite end of Bombay Talk there was a store that had nice lenghas and they would stitch the blouse in whatever style you wanted.  Halter, bandeau (sp?), etc...HTH!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you could definitely get a nice lehenga for $200 or less in Edison.  Especially if you get one that is "ready-made" and you don't have to worry about them sending it off to India for stiching.  How about an online vendor?  I think some of the girls have used bargello.com and utsavsarees.com.  They have some very inexpensive but beautiful lehengas.  I know you feel about not having anything nice!  Most of my indian wardrobe consists of fairly casual chudidhars, the same old traditional south indian saris that I've worn to every wedding for the past 5-10 years, or my own wedding clothes.  I have at least 3 indian weddings next year and I'm pretty much out of clothes!  I'm secretly hoping my mom goes to India this winter so she can pick up some new stuff for me :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Meg, just wear your own wedding clothes with your full-on jewelry, etc.  No bride will mind! ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    cute siggy pic's!get a fancy churidar, those are cute and trendy!
  • Options
    katie978katie978 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldn't find lehengas in Edison for under $500 so clearly Meghana is a way better bargainer than me!  But there were some gorgeous ones at Om and Khajana.  Loved the Ritu Kumars at Khajana.  I'm still dreaming about them  :)  any family in India who could mail you one?  or a friend to borrow one from? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Meghana!  We should borrow!  Lets go shopping together, each buy one & wear it to the first wedding, then SWAP!  Nobody will ever know...
  • Options
    Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL D2M - I HAVE been looking for an excuse to wear my lehenga again :-)haha sounds good Veena!!  It sucks because most of my friends are north indian/paki and my semi-drab southie clothes just don't suffice compared to the blinged out north indian stuff
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree ladies, I recently went to Edison and saw their overpriced wedding outifits. Was very dissapointed, even went to the oak street mall, they had designers like ritu kuma,priya and chintan and benzer with not more than two dressers each..and everything looked so worn out. I returned home dissapointed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards