Wedding Reception Forum

Reception Fun?

I wanted to dancing to keep the fun alive. The last thing I wanted was for people to just sit around people they probably don't know and eat. However, the church we are using(its free!) won't allow dancing. To move the reception to another location and accomodate dancing would be over an extra $2k.  I came up with the idea of a game night theme reception. What do you guys think would be fun games for everyone to play?

Re: Reception Fun?

• edited October 2012
    Please don't do games.  This is something that you do for a birthday party and I don't think you are giving your guests any credit.  Grown adults are more than capable of mingling and making conversation during a "cocktail style" reception - even if no alcohol is served.  Most of our guests only knew the person they came with and by the end of the night contact information was being traded.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I agree with GLB.  I wouldn't want to play games at a wedding.  I would eat, socialize and then go home.  
  • You could throw in a photobooth. It's a fun activity that takes 5-10 minutes max, so your guests can still do plenty of socializing.
  • I think something optional and small would he better. I've seen people put decorative little boxes labelled "him" and "her" out, and there's different questions with different wrapped candies."who made the first move? Put a kiss in the box of whoever you think"....etc. We are planning on doing that at our wedding, kids like it but it doesn't take away from the adults socializing.
  • I am with everyone else.  Avoid any planned games or activities.  Your wedding isn't the state fair or a carnival.   If you dont' want to spring for the extra money, then just have a low key reception. People will mingle, and talk.   It won't be a big fancy party, but I'm sure it will still be nice.

If you have your heart set on the dancing and partying, figure out a way to pay for the other venue.
  • I don't like games at weddings either.  I'm also not a photobooth fan.

If there isn't going to be music and dancing, I'd rather just mingle and socialize.  If you're worried that guests will be bored with just this on the agenda, then I think you should pay for a venue that will allow for music and dancing.
  • What's your guest list look like? A lot of Family? A lot of Friends? A lot of kids?

Is there a reason they would need some sort of ice breaker? Or are you just thinking of something "fun" for them to do? You might be better off  just having a good balance to your guest list and seating people who know each other together.

Personally if dancing were important to me I would just find another venue.
  • Depends on your audience (guest list). If your family/friends are big board game players it can be a great thing to have on the side. If you're not really (and if you're asking about games you're probably not) then I'd avoid it.
  • I don't have a problem with having things available, assuming hte formality of the wedding suits it.  For instance, friends of ours had a more casual, outdoor wedding, and at the reception they had lawn games, like badminton and horseshoes.  It was a blast, but it was also completely optional.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards