Catholic Weddings

Altar Flowers

My church has 2 weddings every Sat. I had called the church to get the other Brides name to see if she would be interested in spliting the costs of the altar flowers, all pretty normal I guess. The other Bride seemed interested at first but I got an email today that her florist suggested not even doing flowers for the altar because the church was so pretty just plain. Now I agree that the church is pretty but have you ever heard of people not having altar flowers? It sounded so wrong to me. In the end I will be getting my own flowers for the altar but I was just interested in what y'all thought.

Re: Altar Flowers

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our priest suggested not getting flowers to save costs, or make sure that we can take them with us to use at the reception. I think I will end up still getting two simple floral arrangements for the front.

Alternatively, you could get an arrangement to put by the statue of Mary.

I don't think it's a "must" but it adds a nice touch.  Lots of churches are beautifully decorated already so it's not bad etiquette IMO to be without flowers.
  • bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I prefer churches not to have altar flowers. I think it detracts from their natural beauty.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not doing altar flowers.  Flowers are expensive enough. The church is huge and beautiful with a high ceiling. I honestly don't think anyone is going to notice flowers on the altar.  It's a pretty church the way it is and I think they will get lost.  I'm not allowed to have any pew bows or an aisle runner or flower petals thrown or any decorations at all except for the altar flowers.  Might as well just have none. 
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you dont need flowers if your church doesnt require them.  mine did.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't have any altar flowers. There was nothing "wrong" with it. If the pic you posted is your church, I really don't think you'll need flowers. It will barely make any difference, visually, to any guests sitting more than a few rows back.

Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp that it is not necessary to have altar flowers. We decided against it as well because we thought the altar was so beautiful on its own. I think the chapel we used wound up having two tiny vases, but you really cant see them:
  • edited December 2011
    I talked to the wedding lady at my church and she said about 10% of people there go without flowers on the altar. Thank you for all your ideas on the matter. I just had never heard of it before but as it seems it is more common than I thought.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    our church has flowers on teh altar every weekend regardless.  i saw no point in buying different ones.  i did inquire as to whether i was expected to provide teh church flowers for the weekend masses but was told no.  even if we didnt have flowers up there that were already provided, i think its unnecessary. i actually think pew bows/flowers are unnecessary too.  no one notices or remembers these things.
  • Clare13Clare13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have the choice of doing alter and cross aisle flowers.  At this time, I am only planning on doing one simple flower arrangement in front of the alter.  It will be listed in the program that this arrangement is specifically for FI's grandparents, my grandmother and other relatives who have died.  I want to have a physical rememberance of them at our wedding.  I see this as something more for us than a decoration. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for posting this information. My FI and I are meeting with our Priest for the first time regarding the wedding next Friday. I will be sure to ask about this. Never really thought about it before until I saw this topic.
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We are not doing altar flowers but we're putting flowers in front of the statue of Mary.  It is like an offering of our prayers to her asking for her intercession as represented by the flowers.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    It definitely depends on the church.  I was not going to have an altar arrangement until my priest gave me a little booklet with information about getting married in my church where he seemed to imply that they were required.  I called the woman who was listed as the flower contact, and when I asked if flowers were required, she said that they weren't but that the priest "definitely looks for them" as a nice donation to the parish community.  I'm now getting an altar arrangment.

It's not necessary if you don't want it or aren't required to, but if you want them, then get them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards