Ohio-Columbus

Sheet/Kitchen Cakes

Hi everyone!  As I am starting to look into the whole cake thing, I see that serving sheet cakes to your guests and just getting a 2 or 3 tier small cake for bride and groom is a popular trend.  However, as I am checking into prices, etc. I am finding that most cake makers require you to order a regular wedding cake of at least 150 servings.  If you do the math and you are having about 200 people like we are, you might as well serve regular cake to all the guests.  Also, one of the cake makers I was looking at said that she does not allow any sheet cakes in the reception (say we ordered some sheet cakes from Giant Eagle or something) b/c it will tarnish her reputation.  How in the world can a cake maker put this in their contract telling you you can't have any other cakes at your reception. If it is your reception and you are paying for it, how can they stop you?  Is anyone else running into this problem?  Any advice?  Thanks in advance.

Re: Sheet/Kitchen Cakes

• edited December 2011
    I have never heard of this. Jenny Hurst does not have a minimun for the wedding cake. you could order all sheet cakes if you wanted. www.jennysbakedgoods.com We used her and loved her.
  • drakehjdrakehj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it were me, I think I'd look into a different baker. From the reviews I have read on here about the few great ladies in Columbus that bake cakes, I'd try to get one of them instead.With that said, all of the highly recommended bakers on this board were booked for my date. So, I looked into Ele (formally known as Taste of Elegance) located in West Carrolton (Dayton area). Since I too am serving 200 people, they have a small 3 tier cake thats perfect size feeding 65 people. Then we are doing a variety of kitchen cakes that can feed anywhere from 24-96 people depending on the size. I know it sounds far away, but they do deliver all the way to Cleveland, and the charge for delivery is $100. My total quote for the cake was $400 which included the delivery charge.Hope this helps you some!
    imageAnniversary BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm... I've never heard of this either. Where have you looked so far? We never did tastings with actual bakeries, only those that run it out of their home, and none of them told us anything about a minimum. We went with Anita Kline (my favorite vendor thus far!), and as far as I know she'll make anything you want!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the replies!  I have heard so many good things about Anita Kline, I'm definitely going to check her out.
  • KermitClin06KermitClin06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't heard of a minimum order, but I have heard of bakers requiring no other cakes be present at the reception, for exactly the reason you specified. I can understand it too because they work hard to create a name for themselves. I also think you should look around at other bakers, because it's ridiculous this lady not allow sheet cakes. Most bakers even suggest sheet cakes to help meet budgets. Our baker does this.I have also heard of some people actually having a fake cake, or partially fake cake. Since the guests never actually see the cake being cut, except for the piece you cut into, you could have one tier be the real cake and the rest being styrofoam covered in icing and decorations. I don't know what the costs are for fake tiers, but it might be something worth asking.
  • chaseglchasegl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't heard of it but I can understand a baker not wanting another cake at the wedding.  But can't you just have then do the sheet cakes, too?  They're usually cheaper even though it's the same baker because the baker doesn't have to worry about the decoration being as perfect.I wouldn't book with someone who has lots of rules and isn't willing to work with a budget, though.One baker we looked at mentioned the fake cake thing and said they aren't much cheaper than a real cake because the same level of decoration has to go into it as the real cake.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm doing this same exact thing, I went with Anita Kline. We're going to have a small 3 tier cake, that'll just be for us ad our wedding party and having sheet cakes for everyone else. She had no problem with it at all. She prices it this way and doing a 5 tier cake for everyone and it came in about $200 cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards