Wedding Party
Options

fake flowers for the bridesmaids, thumbs up/down?

is it tacky or rude to give the bridesmaids fake flowers? I'm doing everything i can to lessen the cost of my ceremony, and i think it's silly to have real flowers for table center pieces, that most people won't keep, and real flowers for my BMs when they're just going to wilt and won't be kept either.I'm DIY-ing almost my entire wedding & reception, even my head-piece. This won't be anything i view as bad, but i don't want to be seen as a cheapskate.

Re: fake flowers for the bridesmaids, thumbs up/down?

• Options
    I personally think fake flowers are tacky. If you want to lessen the cost try a less expensive flower like roses for daisies (and you can easily DIY the bouquets yourself).
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Why not try a DIY fresh flower bouquet. You can go to a local florist & pick up a nice bouquet and wrap ribbon around the bottom. I am sure the girls over on the DIY board have some pictures of their boquets. It may cost slightly more, but it will look nicer in photos. :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    You could also try doing a single flower, maybe with some babies breath or some other filler.  I'm pretty sure that is what I am going to do. 
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with fake flowers. By doing fake flowers for the bouquets I am saving over $600!! The way I see it is most of your guests aren't going to be paying attention to whether your bouquets are real or not and I'm sure your BMs understand that you are trying to save money. Why spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on flowers that are going to die in a few days?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    PP we are not telling her to go out and spend hundreds of dollars, but you can easily do bouquets for approx. $20 or less per person -- so really not that bad all things considered.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm totally with you on the flowers. They're literally a throw-away part of the wedding that's way overpriced. So long as they don't look cheap and ugly, I think it's fine. I know as a BM I've never cared what my flowers were like. Heck, I didn't even care as a bride.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    I really think fake flowers look cheap.  Just MHO. Try contacting your local grocery store florist department.  See if they can create simple small bouquets for your BMs that you can pick up the morning of your wedding.
    Kate ~ Mommy to Matthew 3/29/07 & Kylie 12/30/08 & Chase 3/31/11
  • Options
    How about candles for centerpeices as they are cheaper and the fake flowers are more obvious for centerpeices. My best friend did fake flowers for her wedding party. It looked real but cost about the same. What did work out awesome is I (moh ) got all the other BM to give me their bouquets at the end of the wedding. then I took all the fake flowers and the ribbon and made them into a front door wreath that I put on their front door for when they arrived home from the honeymoon. Now it is 8 years later and they still put that wreath on teh front door every june for their annoversary month.
  • Options
    ffmaid, that is an awesome idea!  I used fake flowers and no one knew unless they went to smell them.  I had rose and stargazer lillies and sprayed them with rose scents so they would have a littel flower smell to them.  If I went to a florist to do them, it was $600, I did the bouquets, bouts and corsages for $200...
  • Options
    I would also think about your BMs' personalities, if you're primarily interested in having them keep their bouquets. I love my friends. I'd love to be their BM, love to carry pretty flowers (real or fake) in their weddings. But I'm just not a sentimental person and I hate having "stuff" around, because I'm a slob and the more "stuff" I have the messier my house looks. So I'd probably throw away a fake flower bouquet. Not because I dislike my friends, but because I don't want to keep things. The photos and memories are more than enough for me to remember their special days.
  • Options
    Maybe i should put real baby's breath with the fake flowers. I hate the way fake flowers look, i'll make sure they don't look crappy. I don't know if i'll use a lot of flowers, or ANY flowers for centerpieces, so i'm just going to talk about the BM flowers.The idea of odorizing (firefox is telling me that's not a real word) the fake flowers is nice. I'll keep that in mind. That wreath idea is really adorable, too. ^_^I'll ask around my school for any floral majors, lol. I have several friends with "wedding talents" already. People are amazing.
  • Options
    *bump* i think i'll just keep all the flowers fake. it's not like baby's breath really has a fragrance.
  • Options
    I am using fake flowers, and my MOH helped me pick them out!! They do not look fake, but were substantially less expensive than real. We got them during Michaels' half-price on all stems sale. Most people around here use fake flowers, and honestly, I think that it's a great way to cut corners without looking cheap.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards