Massachusetts-Boston

tax on wedding gowns?

Is this true and does anyone know the percentage?

Re: tax on wedding gowns?

• edited December 2011
    yes, the same tax laws apply to wedding gowns as to all clothing purchases in MA.   There is a luxury tax on items priced above $175.  The amount above $175 gets taxed at the usual state sales tax rate (6.25%).
    imageimage BFP #1 7/2011 natural m/c at 11.5 weeks. BFP #2 3/2012 ectopic pg, MTX at 7.5 weeks. BFP #3 10/2012, EDD 6/24/2013 over the moon to be expecting our baby girl in June!
  • edited December 2011
    You'll be taxed 6.5% on the portion over $175. This is true for all clothing, not just wedding gowns.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    FYI...NH and a few other states don't have the luxury tax that MA does so you can always look there for a dress too...There are a few highly recommended wedding dress stores in southern NH not far from the MA border.
  • edited December 2011
    Rhode Island doesn't have that tax either..
  • edited December 2011
    I got my dress ar Marry & Tux in Nashua, NH and didn't pay tax. I highly reccomend them.
    Marieke & Michael 5.14.10 Loving life with our 2 boys Anthony (3.22.08) and Dominic (due 2.14.11)!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards