South Asian Weddings

Wedding Dress Shopping: Chicago or DC

Hello All!Does anyone have favorite shops for Indian bridal clothes in Chicago or DC?  (random cities, I know)  I am getting married in DC in June.Thanks!

Re: Wedding Dress Shopping: Chicago or DC

• katie978katie978 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's an old post of mine from July reviewing the stores in DC: Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} Hi ladies, so I dragged FI to all the Indian clothing stores in DC metro that I could find this weekend and figured I would share the report. I was surprised and impressed! There are options for bridal lehngas here. Not many, but its possible: 1) Aanchal Saris (next to Woodland Restaurant on New Hampshire & University in Takoma Park, MD) had several bridal-worthy lehengas. Prices were outrageous - $2800. I assume they could be negotiated down, but still! Also quite a few nice, inexpensive saris that would work well for BMs. (They are also next to a jeweler ... if anyone has been, I'd love a review). Also nice sherwanis. 2) Meenals Indian Fashions. Her website is meenalsindianfashions.com. Her store is in the basement of her house in Herndon and you have to call ahead and make an appointment, but its well worth it. She had a few bridal lehengas at Very reasonable prices (under $1K). Also some gorgeous sherwanis. I would have had FI buy his right on the spot if he was ready. Tons of bangles and many costume jewelry sets. Meenal is great, not pushy, super helpful, good taste. She can also custom order some things from India. 3) Ruby's Collection in Vienna VA. This is the second time we've been and they have some nice options too - both for men and women. As WDC has mentioned, they're also nice and helpful. 4) India Sari Palace just a few blocks from Aanchal on University. I was unimpressed. They have some nice art silk saris that would work for BMs and are inexpensive, but I didn't see any lehengas that I thought were bridal-worthy.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    After that post, we went to Chicago (and Edison) and found better options there than in DC.  In Chicago, Sahil and Taj Sari Palace had great options.  TSP was more reasonably priced.I ended up getting my mehendi party sari from Ruby's Collection in VA, and noticed that they had several lehengas that were the same level as my reception lehenga from NJ.  (ie real zardosi with minimal plastic).  I think they were asking about $2K in late September.  If you live here, I would go there and Aanchal first just to see if you can avoid the travel out of state.Good luck with the planning!!
  • edited December 2011
    Spinoff, Katie: Did those stores in the DC area have wedding-guest-worthy attire or was it more of the high-end bridal stuff?  We're most likely going to have weddings in DH's family in the next year and I'd like to have options in case someone from India can't send something over to me.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    they definitely have stuff appropriate to wear as a wedding guest.  more of that than bridal I think.  the sari I wore to my mehendi night would work for a wedding guest (from Ruby's) as would the lehenga I got my sister for the wedding (from Meenal's).  I think WDC said she's gotten non bridal stuff at Ruby's before as well.  Both of those 2 also have kurtas and not too fancy sherwanis for guys.  The flat off white sherwani my Dad wore to my wedding was from Ruby's.And she includes free alterations in any purchase.
  • edited December 2011
    You also may want to check out Priti at Illusions Designs - she's a custom designer who I met with that also works out of her home. She had some beautiful pieces that were between $1000 - $2000 (although the fancier ones were closer to $2000). Plus, custom is always nice. I ended up going shopping in Houston and didn't use her...
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, Ruby's has plenty of guest-worthy attire. I've gotten quite a few things there. I also went to Needle's Nest in Rockville (which is an appointment-only place in a woman's basement) and she had four or five racks, many things that would be appropriate.
  • garga05garga05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice!  We are going to Chicago next month and I'm hoping I can find a dress at that time.  Otherwise, it sounds like I'll be heading to NJ!
  • edited December 2011
    Katie & WDC, thanks for the info.  What is the price range for guest-worthy outfits?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry D2M, been in trial and haven't been checking - price range anywhere from $50 for basic inexpensive sari to $500.  Most in the $200-300 range.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also sorry to be late to reply, but for weddings in my husband's family/social circle, I would expect to spend $200-300 on a sari.  The ladies in their group get really dressed up. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, ladies.  Very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards