Kentucky-Louisville

Photographer?

Looking for a good photographer for a decent price. I love the photojournalistic/candid style, but I wouldn't mind some posed pictures also. I am in love with Danny Iskandar's work (he did a friend's wedding last year) but his prices start at $3500!!!! ouch! His type of work is exactly what I am looking for. Looking to spend no more than about $2400...we are on a tight budget. I want a decent package (more than just a CD) but does not have to include albums or anything over the top.

Re: Photographer?

• edited December 2011
    Look at www.redtreephotography.com  Beautiful work and in your price range, I believe.
  • edited December 2011
    I highly recommend Photography by Sara and Monarch Photography.Both are within your budget and are friendly/talented enough to help tailor a package to your needs.When I booked my photog, I wanted more hours the day of...an engagement sitting wasn't important to us..There is a little wiggle room in most photographer's packaging...it never hurts to ask!
  • SomethinBluSomethinBlu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dont have any recommendations for you but I would say that pictures are the only place I would splurge. Danny was one of our top two picks but our personalities meshed better with the other pick. Love his work though. 
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Red Tree.  Also, Bella Grace Studios.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    My photographer was Courtney Reece and I absolutely loved her. She worked with us to get everything we wanted (DVD, number of hours, etc) to fit in our small budget. And her pictures are amazing.
  • PoppPopp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Someone local (to me anyway) with a style similar to Danny Iskandar's (more true photojournalism) is Winn Photography. It's a husband/wife team out of Lexington. Their packages start at $1800 with an album and print release. http://www.winnphotography.com
  • PoppPopp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and SomethingBlu--waiting to see Tine's work on your wedding. You MUST share.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Will do. We can't wait to see them. I hate to have my picture taken but she has a way of making everything beautiful. Every candid shot we see her in we get excited, ""There's Tine!" Photography was a huge splurge but we have no question that it was the right decision.
  • pink starspink stars member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We booked Redtree and I absolutely ADORE Josh. Our package is $4000, but he has at least 2 that I can think of that are under that. I'm sure you can get there, especially if you're not looking for an album. As for Bella Grace - supposedly he will not shoot your wedding unless you fit his "profile". Shady, shady.
    Kelley & Daniel | 10.23.2010
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    So far, I have written emails to Kriech photography, photography by sara, and Winn photography... Sara is the only one who has written back so far :(  I really like Kriech-Higdon's work...does anyone have any personal experience with them? Keep the suggestions coming...I have found photographers that I never would have come across b/c of this message board! :)
  • melbrookemelbrooke member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    www.envyphotography.net theresa spalding is amazing and they start at 1800. even the smallest package include a lot...look at my wedding webpage to see my engagement pics that she took! she's really creative and artsy
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure what rumors you've heard about Bella Grace, but he's been great to work with.  Our epic session turned out great, I think.  He worked with us to tailor a package that best suited us, etc.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • melaniems31melaniems31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jason Coobs did my engagement pics, wedding, and after wedding bridal session.  I haven't seen all the pics yet, but I'm extremely happy with what I have seen!  He has packages in your budget.  http://www.jasoncoobs.com/blog/
  • tigger9922tigger9922 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sara swooped in and saved the day for us when Ramon Rodriguez skipped town with our money.  She takes amazing photos and is wonderful to work with.  I don't think you would be disappointed at all.  She is very talented and I'm confident she would work with you both on budget and style of photos.
  • pink starspink stars member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A close friend of mine had an appointment with Bella Grace for a consult about possibly hiring him for their wedding about a month or so ago. She loved his work, and told him to go ahead and book their day, since he mentioned 6 brides had been by that day inquiring about next October. He said he needed to sync his calendar with his business partner about 5:00 (their appt was at 3:00) and would call her tomorrow with contract info, etc. Well tomorrow came and went with no calls. She emailed and called him multiple times inquiring about her contract, etc...fully expecting that she had hired him as her photog. She gave him the benefit of the doubt as being busy...but when a week and a half passed and he had been updating his blog and facebook but not calling her back, she gave up. Another photog she met with I guess told her that he knew he was very selective with which weddings he shot, and if you did not meet his "couture" standards, he wouldn't shoot you...for the chance of damaging his portfolio. It could all be heresay I suppose, but when a girl who is definitely average looking, and doesn't look like the girls he posts on his blog and FB randomly doesn't recieve a call back, it make one wonder you know? It is obvious why he didn't sign a contract and take a deposit right then and there. I'm glad you've had a good experience, but this story just really rubbed me the wrong way.
    Kelley & Daniel | 10.23.2010
    Photobucket
    edited December 2011
    Well, the day we met with him I had been at volleyball practice & FI had just gotten home & changed out of his army uniform into workout clothes.  We definitely were NOT the couture looking couple.  I cleaned up pretty well for the e-pic shoot, I think, but I couldn't possibly have been impressive the first time we met him in person.In any case, that stinks that your friend had a bad experience - but know that it's the only negative I've heard.  A few other brides have posted good things on here after using him as well. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• PoppPopp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To be honest it makes me wonder about the other photographer's credibility. I certainly wouldn't be denegrating another professional in front of a client.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would just add that when you do look at photographers make sure you aren't just looking at their portfolios or their website pictures. I don't know how many times I have seen photographers with absurdly beautiful pictures and then you see some of their clients pictures and and they fall short. You need to ask to see an entire wedding (and as many weddings as possible). You want to see what they do take pictures of and whether you are equally satisfied with all aspects. I kept asking to see weddings. It's a big investment. I am definitely not going to be in my photographer's portfolio but the composition and the colors of my pictures are amazing and representative of what we saw when we invested in her.
  • millieandsheamillieandshea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Photography by Sara, and Red Tree, and I like James Byrd Photography, and Kreich Higdon.
  • edited December 2011
    I know someone that used Kreich Higdon and her photos were gorgeous.
  • edited December 2011
    Well ladies...after much work, we finally booked a photographer today. I was very very upset to find out a couple weeks ago that redtree, winn photography, and kriech-higdon were booked for my date (Oct 16, 2010). After meeting with a few photographers whose personalities did not click at all with mine and my signif other, we decided to go with fusion photography. Really liked his personality, pictures were good, and prices very very reasonable. Anyone have any experience with this vendor? (Just want to know what I got myself into :)
  • melaniems31melaniems31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Fusion Photography (Nathan, right?)  for some studio pictures about 2 years ago.  He was a really nice guy and got our pictures back to us quickly.  Easy to work with.Also, I found out afterward that he is a classmate and friend of one of my co-workers.  Hopefully that's a little comforting as a character reference :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards