North Carolina

meet Olive! PIP

Hello beauties, So we drove to WV Saturday, stayed at a way country, but cozy, yummy southern/terrible for you food (which we miss, not that we ever had it when we lived in the south, but still... it reminds us of home) state part/lodge. Sunday we went to pick her out, it was and it wasn't a hard decision (to be detailed on our blog shortly). She is precious, oh my goodness. She is an 8wk brown Newf. She is a chunky little girl with a big butt, like her mom, dad and sister ki (our cat Caden). I don't know what it is. We have always joked that our children are going to be heavy in the rear, and so far it is true, starting with our pets... She was a freaking trooper yesterday. We were amazed. She slept just about the entire 12 hour car ride either on my lap or under my feet. She only would get up when we would make her at rests stops and she would pee and eventually pooped (a strangely exciting event). I was beginning to wonder if something was wrong with her she was so perfect. Like if she just didn't care about anything. But not really. Last night after the introduction to our home she got some energy (at 1am). We tried to put her to bed around 130 in her crate which she seems to like relatively. She went right in, plopped down, but once that door was closed she definitely whimpered. Every hour and a half she was crying, until 630 this am when we figured that was enough. She is doing so good. Napping in her crate as we speak. Okay so sorry that was so long. I'm going to post this then follow up with a PIP (I have never successfully done this). And here in the next day or so we will blog with many more pics and much more detail for those who care to share in the bumbly cuddle that is Olive.
imageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: meet Olive! PIP

• grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness -- she is such a cute bundle of furry love.  How big will she get?
  • JemmessicaJemmessica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    cutest dog ever... I've been following your blog on getting her!!!
  • edited December 2011
    She is sooooo cute!  Makes me want another puppy :)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    she will likely get to be between 120-140 lbs her mom is on the smaller side of average and her dad is on the larger size of average for a newf (which for males is 130-150)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So she will be a BIG dog.  I am sure that she will be just the most wonderful addition.  Post lots of updates on how she does :)
  • CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my, SO CUTE! Thanks for posting about her. :) She looks darling- and so big already, wow!
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited December 2011
    Squee!!!! I was wondering when we got to see pictures of her.  What a cute little fur ball she is - I know that she will bring lots of joy into her home.On a side note - remember last week how we were talking about how even though we don't all actually know each other, we act like we do in real life?  well I was at the dog park on Friday and actually told some lady that my friend was going to pick up a Newf puppy the next day.  So Kristy, you are officially my friend lol!
  • edited December 2011
    Megan I am thrilled to be your friend! Ha. And if I still lived in CLT now after a year of knowing you guys I wish I lived there to be for real friends. But hey, some of you guys know more than some of my friends at this point... well, about some things.
  • edited December 2011
    She's adorable!! Definitely want another puppy now, haha.
  • edited December 2011
    OMG look at her!  She looks so adorable and cuddly and sweet.  I just want to nuzzle my face in her fur!  I'm glad to hear she did well on the ride home - that is quite a feat for an 8 week old pup!  Our fur baby didn't sleep through the night until he was about 9.5/10 weeks old.  It is a lot like having a baby in some ways.  But all of the adjustments, sacrifices, etc, will be worth every bit of love, devotion and affection from Olive.  Congratulations!!
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • allie76allie76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What a cutie! Congrats Kristy!
    TTC since Sept 2009 with PCOS. 3 failed Clomid cycles; 3 failed IUI's; 1 failed injectable + TI cycle. Surprise BFP on 1/22/12 while waiting to start IVF! EDD 9/30/12.
    Missed m/c discovered 2/20/12 (8w1d). D&C 2/23/12
    Photobucket [img]http://i54.tinypic.com/zsk41e.jpg[/img]

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • edited December 2011
    So freaking adorable!!!!
  • NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    all that comes to mind is AWWWWWW :) She's beautiful!! :) Congrats on the new fur baby!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you guys. My goodness I love her. She is passed out yet again. I'm so afraid I'm going to mess her up...
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awww - you won't mess her up.  You'll be a great puppy Mama!
  • edited December 2011
    Dont worry,  you'll do great  :)  When I got a puppy 6 years ago, I was worried about the same thing, that I would screw up or something, but everything was fine, as it will be with you :)
  • edited December 2011
    Yes Kristy, you will be just fine!  No one is perfect and the best thing is that puppies adapt.  If anything changes, they will adapt.  Let us know if you have questions as I know a lot of us have been through the stages of puppy-dom!  Oh, one other thing.  Take too many pictures of her.  Be sure to get pictures of you and Russ together with Olive (and Caden if possible).  Looking back on what pictures we have of Tucker as a puppy, there is only 1 of us with him together and that was the night that we picked him out (and not the most flattering shot of me, but I digress).  Keep your camera handy because their cuteness is often unexpected and cannot be duplicated!  Enjoy this very brief time - it will fly by! :)
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    She's so freaking adorable - such a cuddle bug!  Enjoy being able to hold her before she gets too big!  LOL the bathroom break comment made me laugh - Jay thought it was a big deal when morgan did it and video taped it...men will be amused by almost anything!  On the sleeping note - is her crate in your room?  the first night we had morgan I think we left her downstairs or in the laundry room upstairs but she was crated.  She cried like a baby the first night.  The second night we moved her into our room and she was fine and only cried in the middle of the night when she needed to go out.  Keep us updated - she's too adorable!
    image Ellie and Morgan
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She is so adorable!! Have so much fun with her!
  • edited December 2011
    Kristi--everyone has said that, to put her crate in our room. Maybe I'm crazy because it could make all the world of difference for the pup and not much in the long run for the cat but the cat sleeps in our room on the bed, it's like "her room." Where as the office is "Olive's room" and the rest of the house is fair game. So far the cat hates the dog, either hides or hisses and growls at me when I come to see her if she is not hiding and she smells the pup on me. I just feel like I would totally ruin the cat if I also took away her space. Did you just let her cry all night, the first night? Like with babies I know to an extent you let them cry themselves to sleep, unless they get too worked up. I don't know how much I love that idea for the dog because for her lifetime I want her to think of her crate as a safe, comfy happy place. It's just all so... new. For all of us. But goodness does he melt my heart!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    After the first night we couldn't deal w/her crying all night so we moved her into our room and she stopped crying almost instantly.  We also go a blanket to go over the crate so it would darken the crate for her and help her sleep.  I also like having her in there because if anything was wrong or she needed to go outside I knew instantly w/o her having to work herself up and crying from another room.  I think as long as she’s crated, she’ll be ok to be in your room because the crate is her space and not the cat’s.  She may settle down being in the office, I know Morgan became quite taken w/our room and doesn’t sleep anywhere else now.  I understand wanting to let the cat have her space but eventually she’ll get use to her or she’ll just avoid her at all costs…I haven’t had the experience of introducing a cat to a dog or vice versa. 
    image Ellie and Morgan
  • ktyd8ktyd8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She is adorable! When we first got our puppy and started crate training him, at night he whined and cried but we put a blanket over the crate (kind of like people do with a parrot). He knew it was bed time when that happened and it also helped keep our cat from taunting him. Now he doesn't sleep in his crate and only stays in there when we aren't home.
    ~Kaitlyn~
    Anniversary
    My Chart
    DX PCOS 2002 @ age 14
    DX Diabetes 3/12
    My Diabetes Blog
    TTA until ?
  • CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree- blanket over the crate. However I'm totally indulgent and now my huge lab-mix sleeps in our bed or on the floor on her blanket. I will say this- I NEVER thought Izzy was going to get through the puppy stage. She used to chew furniture, blankets, even a hole in the wall! She wouldn't respond to me at the dog park, she would steal things off tables... but now, she's three, and she's so good. Except for her blanket addiction (she'll eat any fleece blanket you leave within her grasp, usually she sticks to "her" blanket though and we buy her a new one every couple of months) she's good as gold.So, with the puppy stage- even if you can't seem to train her out of it- it will most likely have an end-point. :)Yay she is so adorable!
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited December 2011
    She is so freakin' cute!!! I second taking lots & lots of pictures. I don't have nearly as many of Cambria as a puppy as I'd like.Take this advice with a grain of salt, because we never successfully crate trained....But everything I've read says to not let them out of the crate while they're whining. It will teach them that to get out all they have to do is cry. Don't let her out until she's been quiet for a few minutes. Eventually she will get used to being in her crate & will love going in there to nap. You can also feed her in the crate, which will create an even more positive environment.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh My Goodness! I'm in LOVE! :) She's absolutely precious! Since I've rescued both of my dogs when they were over the age of 18 months, I completely missed out on their puppy cuteness, and I long for that breath! Please enjoy every minute of her! Congratulations!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards