Honeymoon Discussions

HoneyFund

Has anyone used honeyfund? I stumbled upon an old classmates facebook page and saw that she was doing it, wondered if anyone has used it and what they thought of it...

Re: HoneyFund

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Honeymoon funds of any kind are generally frowned upon here.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You will find that many people do no like that site here....

However, I intend on using one when it comes time.  I am also going to a registry somewhere else for those who don't want to use honeyfund.  I think it's a good idea when asking for things like excursions and specific things on your trip.  However, we won't be using it for airfare or hotel stays.

Also - I looked at one that someone was asking for house payments...which seemed kinda bad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2012
    Check the fine print.  I've had friends that have been slammed with "fees" that the honeyfunds take out. 
    We did have some friends that used a travel agent that we could just send checks to and she applied it to their trip (I believe after they paid the deposit).  She's located in VA.  I don't think they paid a fee (simply bc they were trying to avoid that after our other friends were charged one).  I can send you her info if you want- PM me.
  • Websites and companies like HoneyFund lie to your guests and steal some of your money. If you want cash, just have a small traditional registry and let your family spread word that you're saving money for [blank].
  • edited May 2012
    Actually, unlike other honeymoon registries, Honeyfund takes no money at all. If you choose to have PayPal available through Honeyfund you can, but PayPal takes a 3% fee, not Honeyfund. Otherwise, guests can give cash or check via mail or at the wedding with a printed certificate of what they choose to sponsor from your registry.
  • I agree with akbrown19 - it is one of the only sites that don't charge you or your guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have gone back and forth on this subject as well. I have researched many honeymoon registries and while most take a portion of the funds, honeyfund doesn't seem to, but that doesn't exactly equal a good thing. You might be waiting for Uncle Bill's gift of $50 that he input into honeyfund, but that will never come because it is not his responsbility to bring the voucher and check to the wedding. So if you are really counting on those funds, it's a little "up in the air."

As for some of the other registries that do take percentages, I was on board with it for a while, but I started realizing that much of my guests are not "computery savvy" and may not be comfortable making online transactions like this. This doesn't change the fact that my fiancee and I do not need any household items, and really do need help paying for our honeymoon. And if guests feel inclined to shower us with gifts, we would love to have help with our honeymoon fund. So I think I have decided that word of mouth, and maybe writing a little blurb about our reasoning for this on our wedding website, is the best way to go in making it known that we would choose cash over tangible registry gifts.

Hope this helps! I think the best advice is to make a wedding website because it's a great place to write down any and all information your guests may need to know!
  • They may not take a cut, but it's still asking for cash, just in a disguised way.

You end up getting a check for the 'things' you guest bought you..maybe you use it for a couples massage, maybe a tip to target.

People know cash makes a good gift, so if you want/need money for the honeymoon (for massages, dinners, etc) then create a small traditional registry and use money from the wedding for those things you would put on honeyfund.

• Honeymoon Registries are not well liked on these boards.

If you do decide to do one, make sure you use the cash for the items you 'registered' for. Do not ask for a horse ride on the beach and then use the money to go out gambling one night. Be honest and truthful.

Only you can honestly decide if this is right not only for you and your future husband, but if this is something that your family and friends would enjoy as well.

• I had never heard of any honeymoon registries until a friend got married a few years ago.  She used honeyfund and a few of us went in together to get her an evening out on her European honeymoon.  She took pics of them actually doing the things that her honeyfund specified and we thought it was a great idea.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Jesslynn1012- That's a great idea, if a bride and groom were to decide to use a honeymoon registry!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeyfund-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:a5813540-e7e7-4971-874d-9081cfd1474bPost:b1de3d3c-8bae-48d1-afad-28adfec717ed">Re: HoneyFund</a>:
    [QUOTE]They may not take a cut, but it's still asking for cash, just in a disguised way. You end up getting a check for the 'things' you guest bought you..maybe you use it for a couples massage, maybe a tip to target. People know cash makes a good gift, so if you want/need money for the honeymoon (for massages, dinners, etc) then create a small traditional registry and use money from the wedding for those things you would put on honeyfund.
    Posted by amymaysa[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>this!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards