Hawaii
Options

Banks and HI

Hey ladies, I know that this is a little off topic. I'm curious about something, does Hawaii have major mainland banks like Wachovia, Bank of America, Chase, etc...??? Because it doesn't seem like my bank has branch over there. What if while i'm overthere and need to withdraw cash or do a deposit on my account how will I do that?

Re: Banks and HI

• Options
    maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm Canadian and have no problem withdrawing money from bank machines while on Maui.  Depositing could be an issue if your bank does not have a branch on the Island. HTH! J. :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah depositing could be a big issue... I *think* Bank of America is there... I would just check on the bank's website to find their locations. Otherwise you will be able to make withdrawals but you'll get charged. Normally you can't make deposits at another bank's ATM. The major banks there are Bank of Hawai'i (BankOH) and American Savings Bank(ASB).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am also pretty sure there is a Bank of America there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm...not really.  You can withdraw from the ATMs, though you might get charged a fee from both your bank and the bank of the machine you are using.  You should check with your bank to see if they have any partnerships with banks here that will allow you to use their ATM free-of-charge.  If they have that kind of relationship in place, you may also be able to use the ATM to make deposits.  If that is not the case, you'll have to use the old fashioned method of writing checks and mailing in deposits.  Or get traveller's checks.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There used to be a Bank of America a while ago, but not any more.  I think they are American Savings Bank now.
  • Options
    kwippykwippy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your best bet is to check your bank's website or call for shared banking branches in Hawaii.  My husband has BOA and doesn't have a branch out here on Oahu.  Unfortunately if your bank doesn't have shared banks in their network, you have to pay the ATM fee and withdrawal fee from you own bank if you take money out and it will be difficult to make simple transactions.  HTHs!
  • Options
    MrsNFBMrsNFB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A way to avoid the ATM fees is to withdrawl cash when you make a purchase with your ATM card. Say, you stop into Long's Drugstore for a soda...pay with your ATM card and when the machine asks if you would like to withdrawl cash, say YES :) You can do this at most drugstores and bigger grocery stores like Safeway and Whole Foods. I think you are out of luck with depositing. You could always get an extra ATM card and have someone back home make a desposit for you. Good luck.
  • Options
    inamrainamra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Last I checked, there's no BofA there, nor Chase or Wells or Wachovia or anything. It's pretty much just Bank of Hawaii. What we do when we're there (to avoid bank fees for using non-bank-branch ATMs) is to get cash back when making purchases at the grocery stores (like Safeway). They don't charge you any fees for that.
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • Options
    mzkel_reneemzkel_renee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are none of those branches here in Hawaii. On the Bank of America site, it said that there are a couple of branches on Oahu but its wrong. My mom and I drove around for hours trying to find the addresses they had listed and asked other businesses around them if BOA was ever there and they said no. Pretty weird.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards