North Carolina

NWR: Who uses coupons at the grocery store?

I need to figure out how to start doing this.  I have been reading tons of blogs where people are taking advantage of them. Where do you get the coupons from?Is there some kind of method to finding good coupons?

Re: NWR: Who uses coupons at the grocery store?

• krispychikinkrispychikin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do occasionally - my mom does a lot.  And I have friends that use couponmom.com to keep track of the best deals, and best coupons.  They get their coupons from the Sunday News and Observer (which you could just go out and buy at a gas station on Sundays or you can subscribe to just the sunday edition)
  • edited December 2011
    I get the coupons from the Sunday paper every week.  And websites like coolsavings.com and coupons.smartsource.com  if you search on google for a little while you can find free websites with lots of tips.  There are also websites that you can pay to sign up with and they tell you when and where to buy stuff for the cheapest price.Make sure you take advantage of the stores that do double and triple coupons!  Harris Teeter doubles coupons up to $0.99 every day and they have triple coupons days every once in a while.
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The sunday newspaper is always a good option. I get a lot from there. There are also some websites. Harris Teeter is amazing with coupons. They normally have some special every week where they double, some times triple, the amount of your coupons. It's fantastic!
  • edited December 2011
    I do I do!  The Sunday paper has been my main source, although some magazines and websites have them, they are harder to track down.  There is a site I used to use, called The Grocery Game (its $10 for each store for 8 weeks) that will show you which coupons to use each week - it tracks low prices and sale cycles.  Its helpful but I wouldn't recommend paying for the site until you've built up a few weeks worth of coupons (since some of them could be from previous weeks that you wouldn't have access to).  I shop at Harris Teeter and I sign up for their e-vic emails - they email out what goes on sale each week so that I can plan our meals and what to buy based on what's on sale and what coupons I have.  It definitely cuts our grocery bill down!
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Make sure you have something to organize your coupons in.  I got one of those plastic wallet things from the dollar store. 
  • edited December 2011
    I get most of mine out of the Sunday paper. There's usually at least one coupon booklet in there. I'm not an uber-coupon cutter like some people; we average only $2-7 savings per week using them (with the exception of ~50%  savings for Harris Teeter triple coupon or super double coupon weeks).If I can remember, I'll c&p the link to the NC Nest board post whenever there's another big HT sale week. You'll get the gist of it then.
  • edited December 2011
    Just FYI you can get free samples of all kinds of stuff from Wal-Mart's website in the "In Store Now" section
  • grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How do you know when Harris Teeter is doing a double coupon or triple coupon day/week?
  • edited December 2011
    Someone usually finds the rumor about it the week before. They used to do a triples week about 4 times a year, but this year, they've had one almost every month.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do they honor manufacturer's coupons and competitor's coupons?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure everywhere honors manufacturer's coupons.I think Harris Teeter may take competitors coupons but I'm not sure.  If you print coupons from online and they don't scan on the first try they won't accept it at Harris Teeter, just FYI.  I've only ever had 1 that didn't scan though.
  • edited December 2011
    The e-vic emails have the coupon information at the top of the email. Every week they will double manufacturer's coupons (even if it says do not double) if the coupon is under 99 cents.  Occasionally they do triple coupons and or super-double coupons (for super-double they will double any coupon less than $1.50 in value).  I haven't tried to use competitor coupons at Harris Teeter...
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So you have to print the coupons from their site.  Ok - they don't send out a mailer or anything?  
  • edited December 2011
    No, the Harris Teeter e-vic emails don't actually mail out coupons (sorry if I'm confusing your comment to someone else) - they just mail out the coupon special (always double manufacturer's coupons up to .99 but sometimes its super double or triple) and what is on sale for the week.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh - ok - I was getting confused with store specials and actual paper coupons :)
  • edited December 2011
    I use coupons.com and peruse the Sunday paper.  I used to be religious about the Sunday paper.  I usually save $10 a week and it made me a smarter shopper.  I didn't buy things just to buy, I became acustomed to buying things when I had coupons.
    image Ellie and Morgan
  • edited December 2011
    Southern Savers is a great website that publishes the coupons in the paper and pairs them with the in store sales to help you find the best prices on stuff. They Kroger, HT, Food Lion and I think Lowes on there as well as most of the drug stores. I've learned a lot from them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards