Just Engaged and Proposals

Telling my parents.....

Hello out there!  I am recently engaged and not sure how to tell my parents.  They are divorced and neither are remarried.  I am an only child.  I am also 32.  Very much adult.  Does anyone have any creative ways of telling them??

Re: Telling my parents.....

• Just tell them. Lying is never a good idea. You are a grown woman making your own decisions, you don't NEED your parents approval. Sit down with them, take them out to lunch, whatever and let them know. If they disapprove then listen to thier concerns but ultimately this is your decision.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_telling-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:5c35af04-445e-4764-82df-1bf5ed94c4f2Post:9810300e-87e0-47b4-bebd-9afd74b3d235">Re: Telling my parents.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just tell them. Lying is never a good idea. You are a grown woman making your own decisions, you don't NEED your parents approval. Sit down with them, take them out to lunch, whatever and let them know. If they disapprove then listen to thier concerns but ultimately this is your decision.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If you can make that kind of commitment towards someone that you have only been dating for three months (not meant to be snarky, just saying), then you should be able to tell your parents you are planning to do so. You have known them your whole life, so you owe them your honesty at the very least, and hopefully they will respect your decision. Good luck!
  • You didn't say that one of your parents dont approve so it didn't sound like that was an option. If you are trying to think of a cute way to tell them...i dont really know what you can do. I was too excited immediately after getting engaged that I couldn't think of something creative, I just ran over to my moms and told her right away!

Just not over the phone! Go see each of your parents and share your exciting news.
  • I had a whole plan of how to tell our parents, which got thrown out the window with family emergencies on both sides of the family.  Somethings you can't plan.  Besides, it is one moment of millions, don't stress out like I did trying to make everything special and perfect, because if they like him, and they like you, then it will all work out and be memorable
    (My FMIL pushed me cause she thought i was lying which i think is hysterical!!)
    imageimageVacation Till our honeymoon!!!
  • Just tell them. You will feel so much better once it is done and then you can get to the fun of planning your wedding.
  • I would just tell them. The frist thing we did was to go FI parent's house and told his parents (they live closer than my parents).  Then we went to my parents house and told them.  Both sides were excited since they knew it was coming!  Just tell them, and hopefully they will be as excited about the news as you were when you accepted!
  • we wanted to surprise both our parents at the same time so we're planning a dinner with everyone at my parents house to tell them. But of course my mom knows cause I put on my ring and forgot that she didn't know yet Tongue out so that part went out the window. Mom suggested I call and tell my dad myself but then I got sick and couldn't, but when I called and talked to her she said "It kinda slipped out." so I didn't get to tell my dad but he said something like "Well that was what was supposed to happen right?' least he wasn't mad.  So hopefully we'll get to surprise his family at the dinner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards