Massachusetts-Boston

Hair/makeup trial

Just wondering if people normally had their hair and makeup trial before they booked a person, or waited until closer to their wedding? I'm getting married in May, so want to get someone booked, but I'm not positive what I want to do with my hair yet, and I'm a little worried the stylist won't remember how she originally did it if I do the trial soon. What did others do?

Re: Hair/makeup trial

• edited December 2011
    I had my hair & makeup trial before booking them.  I wanted to be really sure that I liked it before booking them, since I've had pro hair & makeup before that didn't turn out great.  I went with Special Event Beauty and they are very flexible.  Trials are expensive so if you want more than one, you can obviously pay for it.  But if you decide you want to change your updo from your trial, you can just tell them that on the day of the wedding and they'll change it for you.  No need to have a bunch of trials unless you want to.They also made notes about me in their notebook about how they did my hair, the makeup products used, and the look I"m going for.  I guess that makes it a lot easier to remember for the wedding day.Good Luck!
    10.10.10 Bride! Our Bio Updated 9/26
    image 129 Are ready to party! image 29 Party Poopers!
  • desistoldesistol member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had mine after booking since I'm using my regular salon.
  • edited December 2011
    I booked my hair stylist and make up artist before doing a trial.  I'm getting married on a Saturday in June, so I wanted to book early before everyone good was taken, but I'm not sure what I really want yet and I don't care enough to shop around and do several trials with different people.  I read a lot of good reviews for both of them (and actually my make up artist recommended my hair stylist), so I felt comfortable with it.
  • terrax82terrax82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did a mix - I was really nervous about makeup because I typically wear NONE so I wanted to make sure I liked the person in charge of my face.  (Ended up loving and booking Sam from Girly Junk.)  For hair  I started to realize that the people I was looking at were booking up quickly for my date and I got nervous, so I booked Lypor Leong before I had a trial.  I felt comfortable with it though because she came with such great rec's ... and I had my trial yesterday and LOVED it, and loved her!
  • edited December 2011
    I booked after first trial. (I had a couple of trials- changed look i wanted).
  • edited December 2011
    I did two trials and booked with the second hair/makeup team.  I wanted to make sure that I liked the people who would be working with me and that they could deliver what I wanted.  I'm going with Special Event Beauty like sboston and there were two other girls who were interested in my date, so this should definitely be something to start working on.
  • edited December 2011
    I would do it before you book. I had makeup trial before I booked and loved it so book her on the spot. My hair was another story. I booked without a trial as a friend had reffered this hairstylist to me. I had booked her about 9 months in advanced. When i went for my 1st trial about 2 months before wedding, I hated it. Went back for another trial about a month before and still hated it. I was so stressted about this that i had to find someone else a week before the wedding. Luckily I was able to get someone who was available for my date as she happend to have the day off. The 1st girl did still did the bridesmaids as I could not cancel on her a week before.
  • spizlett410spizlett410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't going to do a trial because I am not a fussy person and figured I would be ok with the look I got.  Then I had my make-up done for my engagement pics and looked totally washed out.  I wanted to make sure I didn't let it happen again for the wedding, so I booked a make up and hair trial.  The hair trial was to make sure what I was envisioning would look ok for a wedding.I am so glad I did!  They wrote down the make up they used and they took pics of my hair and make-up to serve as a reminder.  I also took pics myself to make sure the make-up and hair looked the way I wanted it to in different lighting (inside and outside).  I can always bring in the same inspiration pics again since they worked the first time.  They also said I can change the way I looked on the day of and that's fine.
  • spizlett410spizlett410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh,I am also going with Special Event Beauty as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards