North Carolina

NWR: Retin-A?

My derm just put me on this last week.  She said that it could cause some side affects (itchy skin, redness, peeling) and she warned that if I am going to be out in the sun that I don't need to use it.  Do any of you use Retin-A?  Just trying to figure out what to expect.  The directions she gave me said to start off applying it just Monday and Thursday night - Monday night I did and didn't notice anything, but I'm not sure if it will get worse??  TIA!
imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Retin-A?

• edited December 2011
    I loved it for a while. It really helped with my acne, but it made the skin on my face really thin. Eventualy, I started breaking out in an itchy, peeling, rash along my right jawline. I thought I was having a bad reaction to my makeup, but it turned out to be the Retin-A. I had to stop using it.If your skin can take it, it's great stuff.
  • edited December 2011
    I used it and had to stop. It made my skin so red and irritated that it started to bleed. You should use sunscreen all the time because it makes you so vulnerable to burning.I switched to Differin gel and that was so much better in terms of side effects.
  • jmesseruncjmesserunc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a close friend that fought Acne for years.  She gave up on Retin-A too and started using Bare Escentuals Skin Revver-upper.  She swears by it.  I've found I don't break out as much since switching to mineral make-up too (any brand).
  • edited December 2011
    i had to switch off retin-A to ace-zone and something else topical but can't remeber the name of it...those were all to harsh on my face....even after three months it was still drying it out bad (they say it gets worse before it gets better) i take monodox and she just put me on differin yesterday....the monodox has made a great difference alone, i started taking that in april. hopefully the differin wont dry out my face and help keep it cleared up.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies.  My doctor gave me a sample of it so I'll be sure to use all of that before filling the Rxn.  I've heard its expensive so I definitely don't want to fill unless it works well for me.  I appreciate all of your input!
  • edited December 2011
    if you do end up having to fill it, check thier website first for coupons and/or rebates. i have gotten some rebates and coupons before for my prescriptions off the mfg website.
  • edited December 2011
    Good tip, thank you Amanda!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards