Catholic Weddings

Need help with a couple things

Hi ladies. I need some help with the readings I'm choosing. So far, I have our second reading picked out, 1 Corinthians 13. I'm looking for a first reading from the Old Testament that would work with this piece. I'd love for something with a similar message, but I'm having trouble finding one. Do any of you have suggestions? Do you think they need to work together with their messages or can they be different? Also, do you pick the Gospel, or does the priest? Also, our music director told us to pick our readings so he could choose our music. Is that normal for the music director to get to choose what music you have? FI is the one who spoke with him on the phone last week, so I'm not sure if he just meants the psalms or everything. Just curious! Thanks for any help you can give me!

Re: Need help with a couple things

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your readings don't have to match each other. In fact, I'm of the opinion that they should have different (but not conflicting, obviously) messages - it will give your priest more to speak about during the homily, and illustrate multiple aspects about marriage and love.We picked our gospel reading.Your music director probably means that he'll use your reading selections as a starting point to find hymns that would coordinate. He should give you the final say though, and would probably be open to suggestions from you as well. If you're not clear on the exact process of choosing music, call the music director yourself and just ask.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • tnspighttnspight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing Song of Songs 2:8-10 14 16 8:6-7 and 1Cor 12:31-13:8.  I felt like they complimented each other.  Song of Songs is about a couple's love/passion.  I think it's supposed to reflect our passion for God.  I also liked Tobit 8:5-7.  Try this site for suggestions.http://catholicweddinghelp.com/topics/readings-rite.htm
  • edited December 2011
    We had the following:Old Testament - The Two of the Become One Body (Genesis 2:18-24)New Testament - If I Do Not Have Love, I Gain Nothing (1 Corinthians 12:31-13:8) Gospel - They are No Longer Two, But One Flesh (Mark 10:6-9)I wanted ours to all "coordinate". We got to choose all of our readings, and quite a lot of the ceremony. We also choose our songs although we followed most of the church organist's suggestions.Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards