North Carolina-Outer Banks

Currituck Club

Hi ladies!I was on this board for quite awhile a few months ago, but then had a freakout moment and totally changed my whole wedding vision.  When I was originally planning on an OBX wedding, I just figured my wedding had to be beachy.  So then when I changed the color scheme and whole 9 yards of what I'd already started planning, I thought, I can't have that type of theme at the beach.  Now with convincing that I can do whatever I want, it's my wedding...I've started looking back at the OBX.However, now I'm back to trying to figure out our venue.  In talking with Sarah, she told me that we have a food tasting once we have already booked our reception with them.  So my question is...for those of you brides that have been married there, how was your food or for the bride-to-be's that have had their tastings...what did you think?Please help!!!!  I don't want to be trapped with a contract and hate the food!!!!Thanks in advance.Donna

Re: Currituck Club

• edited December 2011
    My second paragraph should say in talking with Sarah from the Currituck Club...sorry!!!
  • edited December 2011
    hey donna! welcome back!  you gotta fill me in on your switch back to obx instead of the museum of industry :)  anyway, we just set up our tasting with sarah for jan...i've heard the food is good there, although i haven't personally tasted it but they have a ton of options!  i'm sure someone who has been married there can give you more info...good luck! ~sam
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Sam!! How indecisive am I???!!!  :)I haven't even told Pat that we have 2 appointments to view Currituck and Saltaire House when we go down in a few weeks.  I had a realization that I love that area and I can have any kind of wedding that I want there, maybe not the same number of people, but hey I guess thinking in the long run, we will save a few bucks if some people don't make the trip. So anyway, we will see what happens when we get down there in a few weeks.  I will keep you posted!How are plans with your guys' wedding coming along??  Who are you using for flowers and photog? Talk to ya soon.  We still have to plan a night to all get together!!
  • lkleffkelkleffke member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Donna, I just had my reception there in September -- It was funny b/c I did the tasting for the food during my spring break in March before the wedding - so I had a good 7 mos between tasting and the reception. Needless to say, the food was actually very good. We had, for the appetizer during cocktail hour: crab cakes and stuffed tomatoes. There was a salad we served to seated guests and a buffet for the main food - which was Chicken, jasmine rice, green beans almandine, anti-pasta dish and a roast beef station. I dont know if everyone was just being nice, but I did receieve a number of "the food is so good!" compliments. The bit of food I got to eat at the wedding was very good, so I can't complain. Sarah's also very good at accomodating any food preferences or substitutions you may have! As for the venue, I'll be posting pictures from my reception on my blog today - so you can see what the non-golf club currituck club looks like!
  • edited December 2011
    oooo, thanks for sharing and congrats on the wedding!I can't wait to see the pics!!!
  • obxkcnobxkcn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Donna ~ Most reputable caterers will not have a food tasting without a contract. this is standard pratice. From someone who has done several weddings at The Currituck Club - Kevin Minus is a great chef and he is sure not to dissapoint anyone!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't understand the whole, no contract - no tasting policy. Why would I sign a contract for FOOD without ever TASTING IT? We booked Argyles in Nags Head, who did a tasting with us, and the food is DELICIOUS. They're prices are very comparible and were getting a free cake, which is also delicious. (Were doing three teirs, three different flavors.)Maybe it's just me, but we didn't even consider the ones who wouldn't do a tasting without a contract. (those seemed to be the more expensive ones anyway!)
  • edited December 2011
    I totally don't understand the contract before tasting thing myself, but it does seem that a lot of places do it that way.  We have a few appointments while we are there in November, so I'm really excited.  The food can't be that bad also if tons of people book there all the time...so I think I'm going to tour and see if it is something we want. I forget...do they (Currituck Club) have a location to do the ceremony incase of RAIN???!!!  I think I have a beautiful ceremony spot...but they have no indoor back-up plan so it is up to us to have the backup plan ourselves...
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it rains, the Currituck Club moves everyone and everything upstairs to their large banquet room, which is actually pretty nice. Ask Sarah to show you when you go visit next month.
  • edited December 2011
    lkl, those green napkins and chair sashes...did you rent those or does CC have those available?  I know Sarah had told me they have a small selection, and didn't know if that green is one of the choices...that's the color I'm looking for!!!  :) Your wedding was beautiful by the way!  I can't wait to go and tour and hopefully set our location!!!!!
  • mml002mml002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having my wedding at The Currituck Club next June.  Sarah just recently ordered these removable windows (like tent things) that cover the outdoor space they have.  This will also make for a good back-up plan when it rains or is too windy.  They just got them in and I hear that they have installed them now, so you should be able to see what they look like as well when you visit there!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    donna, Sarah ordered them through B&J linens, which is the company the Currituck Club uses to rent linens. they have a website, so you can google them and check them out! Thanks for the compliments: It was one big idea, lots of creativity, lots of man-hours and the support and help of so many people made it all happen! You're in good hands w/ Sarah at the CC. For your dream wedding, the key - if you have time, do as many DIYs as possible! It was exhausting, but I ended up w/ what was the perfect wedding for me and my husband! I learned so much and had such a blast in the actual 5 months I did of hands on planning, please feel free to ask me anything!
  • edited December 2011
    is B&J located at the Outer Banks?  I can't seem to find their website...help :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    whoops, my bad - its BBJ Linens: http://www.bbjlinen.com/ They dont have everything online. It said when I first looked that they didnt have navy blue satin table runners, but Sarah was still able to order them through the company.
  • mml002mml002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lkl,   What was the rental price like for BBJ?  I was hoping to have colored linens, but working with a budget, I have not really looked into it thinking that it would be too expensive.  Did you find them to be affordable?   
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The linen total was $421.40. That was for 10 tables seating 90 people - 110 table runners (10 navy for the tables, 90 lime for the chair swags, 6 for the cocktail tables, 4 for the buffet tables) 90 lime napkins They have white tablecloths and other linens at the CC, but all white wouldnt have worked for the bold scheme we were looking for. What may be a good idea, if you only want to rent a few table linens like JUST runners or JUST table cloths, is to have a neutral color palatte for the wedding - use the white cloths and have your color, such as a pale green or a pale blue in the lone linens you rent. Then the flowers/centerpeices would reiterate your subtle scheme. A subtle color scheme, done well, can look so classy and polished. This would work, unless you have already figured out your color scheme for the wedding. Hope this helps!
  • mml002mml002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!  That was very helpful.  I expected it to be much more expensive.  We are planning on a light green, tans, and browns theme, so I love your idea of using the white linens with runners or napkins in the green. 
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, I totally thought it would've cost more than that as well.  I hope they have black damask table runners (which is what I'm looking for).  On the website I saw different colored ones, but not black, so we will see!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if all else fails, you can do some hunting through area fabric stores to find your black damask. Order the amt you may need, and then find someone who may be handy w/ a sewing machine to hem the edges andmake them look tailored. Its a surefire way to cut some expenses and make sure you get exactly what you want!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards