California-Los Angeles

DIY Cake Stand

A while back, I remember seeing a few knotties on this board who made their own cake stand/base. At the time, I didn't pay attention (and can't even remember who it was...).Have any of you done this? It seems straightforward to build it out of wood, and cover it with fabric or something, I'm just worried about it being able to support enough weight for a big 3-tier cake. Most of the instructions I have found online have been for a cake stand appropriate for one tier only- ie, a flipped over pie pan on a stand, or something similar (which is adorable, but wouldn't work for me).Thanks in advance!

Re: DIY Cake Stand

• KittonKitton member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm looking to do a dyi cake stand also. I'm going to try this one, not sure if it will work with a 3-tier cake. www.simplynaturalevents.blogspot.com/search/label/Cake
  • chiweeweechiweewee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! Not sure if I'm the one you're thinking of but my DH made us a cake stand that we loved. After our wedding we got several inquiries on how it was made so my DH wrote up very detailed instructions for me to send to fellow knotties. Let me know if you'd like me to email them. I think there's pics of it in my bio. FYI- Our cake was 3 tiers and the stand could have held more. It was extremely sturdy.
  • edited December 2011
    Can I have the instructions please?  How cool is that to make your own cake stand!  Thanks!
  • chiweeweechiweewee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lnc-What's your email?It was awesome. We loved having yet another personal touch added to our reception, plus it was cheap! I couldn't stomach the rental costs of a traditional cake stand. Plus, I sold it to another knottie, bought it back, and now I'm going to use it in a little over a week for our 1 year anniversary =)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much, I think it was you I was thinking of! I agree, I do not want to pay the $300 stand rental fee the week of the wedding...and also, I really love the look of a more personal stand.I have the time now, so I might as well make it!If you could send the instructions, that would be fabulous. My email is my screen name at gmail.comThanks so much!
  • edited December 2011
    Cake Stand!? What's a cake stand????? They don't just sit on a table w/ a tablecloth on it?
  • edited December 2011
    Well, the cake itself has to be on something, not straight on the tablecloth!I have seen varying degrees of fanciness- sometimes the bakery lets you rent one (usually they are very ornate, silver). Some just look like a giant plate or piece of wood that the cake is on, flat to the table.The one I am hoping to make is slightly raised, like a little platform.But there does have to be something there for the cake to sit on! Hope that makes sense!
  • edited December 2011
    Chiweewee: I'd also please like the instructions! It looks so pretty! Thanks! elizabeth2116@yahoo.com
  • CKalbfeld10CKalbfeld10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    can you email me the directions also..thanks csommerfeld9@gmail.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards