New Hampshire

Guitar Playing in honor of my dad

Hi again New Hampshire Brides! Well I feel like I keep positing on this board about ideas, opinions and such! I really appreciate all of your feedback. I finally got the word that my cousin is going to play the guitar for me when I walk down the aisle. My father sadly passed away this past June after a 6 1/2 year battle with brain cancer. I am absolutely devestated that my father is gone, and sad that he won't be at the wedding. My dad and I were so close as I'm sure many of you are with your dads and this is such a hard time for me. But my dad and I just loved to laugh and have a good time so i'm trying to keep the happy thoughts with me throughout the planning. Well my dad loved music, and loved playing guitar. Shortly before his passing he gave his guitar to my cousin who plays guitar. So my cousin and I are planning for him to play my fathers guitar while I walk down the aisle. most likely and Eric Clapton song(not def) because that was one of my dads favorites. This can't ever compare to my dad actually being there with me, but I like to believe that his guitar, his music are a symbol of him and his spirit will be with me too :-)! I'm really excited about this addition to my ceremony!

Re: Guitar Playing in honor of my dad

• edited December 2011
    I think that is a beautiful way to honor your Dad's memory. Are you planning on having someone walk you down the aisle? I know it would be hard to have someone "replace" your Dad but I cannot imagine having to walk down the aisle alone. Especially while listening to you & your Dad's song.
  • aiwanickiaiwanicki member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Gabs,  my Uncle is walking me down the aisle. It is my dads youngest brother. we are also quite close, and my dad asked him to walk me down the aisle before he passed. Its hard but i'm glad to be with the person that my dad personally asked to do it
  • edited December 2011
    Thats a really nice way to honor him. I know how hard it is for your dad to not be there, Im going through the same thing!
  • edited December 2011
    totally beautiful idea- got chills thinking about it!
  • sdouce8sdouce8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that is a really great idea.  I am in the same position.  My father passed away 2 years ago after a 4 year battle with kidney cancer.  It is really tough planning a wedding when you know your father won't be there to give you away :(  Like you, I have been trying to think of creative ways to incorporate him into the cermenony and the reception.  I am putting together a slide show of pictures of him and I throghout my life, to play in lieu father/daughter dance.  I know it will bring a lot of tears to people's eyes, but it is really important to me to honor my father and show everyone what a large impact he had on my life.I am truly sorry for your loss and hope that you stay strong throughout your planning.  My thoughts will be with you on your special day, as I understand exactly how hard it will be.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ladies thank you all for ur support. Girls who are going through the saem thing, I am truly sorry for your losses! If you ever need someone to talk to..well I'm here! I love the slideshow idea. Another Idea my FI and I are doing is having a memory table with pics of my dad, me, and my FI together. We are each going to write him letter just telling him we miss him and just a personal message! We are also going to have a budweiser on his table, becasue well that was his favorite drink! haha:)
  • edited December 2011
    We are also doing a memory table. My father passed 15 years ago so I was young when it happened, I cant imagine how you ladies feel that still dealing from the pain. I am carrying a single rose down the aisle )along with my bouquet) and will hand it to my mother when I get to the front of the church. MY brother is giving me away and we are also dancing together at the reception rather than the traditional father/daughter dance.... we will be dancing to "dance with my father again" by Luther Vandross Good luck with your planning, and know that even though your dad isnt here, he is watching over you saying what a BEAUTIFUL bride you are :)
  • edited December 2011
    I did a slideshow in lieu of my father/daughter dance - my dad is 84 and has Parkinson's Disease.  I got SO many compliments on it (it wasn't even good quality at all, because I delegated it to my sister to do, and she's technologically challenged).  Several of my female guests approached me after to tell me how special it was to them.  I had my immediate family crowd around me and dad on the dance floor to watch it.  I love the ideas you ladies have to honor your dads!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the slideshows! and I really love the single rose for your mother! I think thats awesome!
  • edited December 2011
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I think that is a beautiful way of honoring your father. I also think it is great that you are walking with someone your dad asked to do the honor. I too lost my dad 4 months before my wedding to cancer and my DH lost his dad a couple of years ago. I walked down the aisle with my mom and purchased a bouquet charm on Etsy with his image so he was "walking" with me too. Both DH's dad and my dad enjoyed Irish music so we played when Irish Eyes are Smiling during the ceremony to remember all of those that would want to be there but aren't able. I also danced with my brother to a country song because I had gotten my dad turned onto country music a few years ago and he was a big fan. It was definitely an emotional dance but I will never forget that my brother did that for me. I am also so sorry to hear of everyone that had similar situations, but it sounds like everyone honored there special someone in very meaningful ways. <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards