Hawaii

Fanger Estates

Does anyone know about this place. I keep seeing listing for it but NO pics. I know it is fairly new and may not even be open yet but I am very interested. I would love to hear from someone who knows a little about it. Camie
Happy growing to everyone!

Re: Fanger Estates

• Samaralynn23Samaralynn23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as the Star Bulletin article I was very concerned so I contacted Fanger Estates via email and was complpetely reassured by Mr. Gary Fanger himself & his property manager Mrs. lata Sua. Anyone who also feels they need to be reassured also may email them at info@fangerestates.com. They are most accommadating. Cheers to all your weddings!
  • jennicrewjennicrew member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If anyone who has gotten married there and hasn't sent information or pictures please do so. Some of us are wavering in concern after all of these stories. Will the woman who's daughter just got married there please reply.
  • mooodiermooodier member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we were too nervous about the legalities and if the smaller house on the property would even be completed, so we backed out. supposed to get 100% of our deposit back, but it's been over a month and nada, not even an explanation. we may have to get our lawyer involved. good luck to the rest of you...
  • edited December 2011
    We booked the Fanger Estates for June 2010, and have since found a string of news articles that sound pretty sketchy: City cites Hauula property running illegal rentals http://www.starbulletin.com/news/20090821_City_cites_Hauula_property_owner_allegedly_running_illegal_rentals.html Owner contends rentals are legal http://www.starbulletin.com/news/20090715_Owner_contends_rentals_are_legal.html Reviving the B&B bill http://www.starbulletin.com/news/20090715_Reviving_the_BB_bill.html This is my DREAM location...and I'm afraid something will go wrong before the date. I am so sad, but we are on the brink of backing out of our reservation and are already looking for alternate venues. It's just a huge risk to take. Those of you who have had weddings there - were there problems?? For those who are planning to have their wedding there, how do you feel about it? Are you all OK still planning your weddings there? Have you spoken to Gary Fanger??
  • edited December 2011
    We had to back out becasue of unforseen circumstances. Still waiting for a deposit. No replies to emails or any writing, but we have gotten in touch via phone. They couldn't believe we haven't gotten the deposit back yet. Last we spoke to them was 3 weeks ago. Getting Visa involved but bc its past the dispute timeframe, they are going to help us, but can't dispute it. They asked for documentation, but as previously mentioned- none available. They're smart ones to keep it all verbal. Good luck to anyone else in this situation. Its looking a little hairy, if you ask me.
    Kristen
    Married: May 7th, 2010
    Our Pregnancy/Baby Planning Blog Our Wedding Planning Blog Coming Soon, Baby K!!
  • sujrubiosujrubio member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DO NOT RENT THIS HOUSE!!!!  My daughter got married there...it was terrible.  The A/C, refrigerator and oven did not work.  The septic is at the front door and smells.  I am still waiting for my deposit and partial return of rental $$ Mr. Fanger agreed to give...no replies to emails, calls, letters.  I am hiring an attorney.  RUN!!! It booked you need to cancel now.
  • edited December 2011
    We just cancelled our reservation for next summer. TRULY broke my heart, but it's just not worth the risk. Hearing how the neighbors have been taking the press and the trouble people have been having getting their deposits back, it sounds like there is some financial trouble and just doesn't sound good...and too much $ for us to be making a gamble that it may or may not be shut down. Also, the date of completion for the 2nd house moved from September 2009 to December and now he is saying April. Considering that the timeframe keeps getting pushed, it's too close to June for us to be confident that it will be done by our wedding, and I don't really want a bunch of construction going on at the same time anyway. Our vendors were also expressing concern about it, and I can't see how parking for 200 ppl can fit on that property.... Good luck to the rest of you...I really wanted to get married there!!!
  • fyamamotofyamamoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't even think of going there.  The amenites listed are not ready and the residence does not have permits and licenses to operate,legally.  It was a nightmare staying there for the weekend.  Lots of things were broken or not completed.
  • erinandlewiserinandlewis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would proceed with caution. We had made a deposit for June 12th, 2010 upon hearing rumors of shady business. My fiance and I requested to get our refund back and I along with another known bride to be have still not received our deposits. This has now been going on for at least 3 months. In my opinion they are not to be trusted, but don't take my word for it check the Oahu Star Bulletin. We can recommend the Bayer Estate they have proven to be very professional and we are very happy with our choice.... best of luck.
  • Samaralynn23Samaralynn23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WOW, well we've been out to the estate three times and each time the property manager has been very accommodating. I am in no way trying to defend them but I just know that anytime a place is open for the first time there is alway going to be issues and glitches. I know that the last time i spoke to with Late this past Tuesday when wwe were at the hosue issues mentioned have been taken care of. We will be at the house for our wedding in a couple of weeks and will have more of a feel soon but for us and our family flying to paradise this was a heaven send since things are really expencise here.
  • rpof22rpof22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I booked the Fanger Estates for May of 2010...we have subsequently canceled our reservation due to the legal issues with this property being operated as a B&B.  I tried getting our deposit back from them directly with no luck, after many e-mails and no genuine response, I resorted to reversing the charge from the credit card company...with success today!  I would caution anyone interested in this site for a wedding...the business practices of Mr. Fanger are highly questionable.  It would have been the perfect set up but this is too big and expensive of a day to risk it.  If you've already booked, I highly recommend contacting your credit card to work with them instead of Mr. Fanger. 
  • shutterfly56shutterfly56 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PLEASE DON'T BOOK THE FANGER ESTATES!!! I also thought it was a beautiful location for my wedding reception and thought that the manager, Lata, was great and very personable. However, it turned into a disaster. I had family over for dinner the night before the reception and that's when we found out that both ovens didn't work. That night I wanted to take a shower in the beautiful Master bath, but the hot water didn't work on the bedroom side of the house and was only luke warm in the bathroom behind the kitchen. I called Lata and nothing she suggested made it work. I ended up taking a freezing cold shower the morning of my wedding and so did all of my family that was staying at the house. All of the guests arrived for the reception and thats when we found out the A/C didn't work. With all of those people in the house everyone was sweating and most ended up outside. And now here it is MONTHS later and I still have not received my security deposit back! I have called and received numerous e-mails some from Lata and some from Mr. Fanger stating that they did not know that I had not received my deposit back or their book keeper was new and other ridiculous things and yet they still haven't given it back. Additionally, what they're doing is illegal as show in the newspaper, do you want the police called and show up in the middle of your wedding with all of your family and friends there? Don't be fooled by the beautiful location, your wedding or reception will be ruined!!!
  • odocodoc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anyone rented the place recently? Did you end up booking it for July 2011?
  • mocha beansmocha beans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't.  It seemed like a good place, but it's been a nightmare trying to get our deposit back after we cancelled our reservations.
  • ChaseGiChaseGi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HI,  my now wife and I reserved this space last sept 2010 and were worried about it the whole time constantly checking for any new reviews or news on it. we saw the many negative reviews one or two people posted everywhere they possibly could, the news article and the BBB rating  and they probably had good reason.   But we stuck with it becuase it was the right location for a number of reasons and some time you just have to see for yourself

Anyway, i have to say outside of the hottub(doesnt work very welll) eveything went great.  We didnt rent for the hottub , it was for the size , the space, beach promixity and the price.   We had 17 people staying there for 8 days with anywhere between 2-8 people stopping in every day and it never felt crowded. Even with the wedding day and reception it was great space and everything worked out great.  

Lata was a great host and was very helpful and easy to reach.  I know there were a lot of issues with getting deposits back but i can honestly say we didnt have that problem.  been back a week now and got the deposit 2 days ago.

This is a great rental and I would recommend it to anyone.  we plan on going back and renting the small rental in the future.

Somethings not mentioned on the site, they have lots of snorkel gear and lawn chairs.

Hope this was helpful..

Chase & Gigi
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards