Wedding Reception Forum

two receptions

My FI was born in the Bahamas. He has lived here in MN for most of his life but almost all of his mom's side of the family still lives in the Bahamas and will not be able to attend the wedding so we are planning on doing a second reception down there to involve them. I am going to do a later desert reception at his auntie's house because she has a huge yard and pool. But I have no idea what else to do?! How fancy do I make it or do I treat it just like a party?? Does anyone else have experience with this??

Re: two receptions

• I think just a cake party would be great. It could be phrased as a party to welcome you to the family, and you could have a really relaxed time with all his family and friends. IMHO, that is much more fun than a more formal occaision.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Have you talked to the Destination Weddings board? A lot of those folks are planning multiple receptions (often called "At-Home Receptions" or AHRs).
  • Have you talked to his family?  I do not know much about the Bahamas.  But to the West Indians in St Thomas, any and all events means food and lots of it.  I think they would find it rude to only get deserts.   I have yet to attend a single West Indian event (birthday, funeral, whatever) that did not have tables and tables of food.  I'm not talking about catered food.  I'm just saying they seem to cook for an army at their parties.I would ask around to see if deserts is the way to go in their culture.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thats a good point but actually his mom is the one who suggested it. They will be made be someone down there who is like known or whatever and it will be later so they will have already eaten dinner..
  • An AHR (at home reception) can be whatever you want it to be. There really are no rules or anything like that. Personally, I would model the Bahamas party after any typical party down there. What would they do for, say, a family reunion? Graduation? Those tend to be more laid back events and if that's the vibe you're going for then just ask what the usual custom is.
  • We did something like this b/c my H's whole family is in Peru. His mother (thank god) took the lead and really handled it. Talk to his mom and his auntie about what is common there and about maybe helping you plan. At the very least, they should be able to get you contact info for local vendors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards