Attire & Accessories Forum

Wedding Dress - Custom Made??

I have found the perfect dress!  I went a bridal shop to try it on and make certain.  My MOH took pictures and I still love it when I look back on it!  Here is a link to the dress:

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=monalisa&line=m&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=15&style=V7018SA

Now, to my issue...  I want my dress to be a powder or ice blue dress...  Maggie Sottero does not offer this dress in that color.  And every retail shop I went to does not offer to dye the dress.

So... I have a bid from a China shop, DressilyMe, for them to make this dress in the color I want...  But I am concerned about quality...  I want it to have the same quality of the dress I tried on.

I am NOT willing to give up my blue dress so please no one tell me that this is an option.

Any recommendations or any experience with custom tailors??

Re: Wedding Dress - Custom Made??

• akitty81akitty81 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    That is what I am worried about...

My friend went to a bridal shop in Tyler, Texas and she ordered a dress through them.  They had it made in China and shipped to the bridal shop so I don't know who did it.  It was excellent quality and not that expensive but it was still around $600 since it was bridal shop ordering it.

So, I'm open to a China shop but I want to make sure that it will be a quality dress.

I've read alot of comments about DressilyMe but here is my concern...  You go to David's Bridal and you are looking at $100 to $300 dresses then you go to DressilyMe and you will be extremely happy with the quality of the dress.  It is what you are looking at already and you pay the same price for a more extravagant dress...

Now, I am the bride looking at $2000 to $3500 dresses...  being told that this same dress is $300 from DressilyMe is too good to be true...

Now if someone tells me that they are considering Demetrios, Maggie Sottero or another dress then they ordered through a china shop and the quality is same or very close, I want that shop!

• Find a good seamstress in the area and hire her. Ordering site-unseen, maker-reputation unseen is dangerous.
  • A dress with that much detail is not going to go well from a shop in China. The only ones I've seen get good reviews are on relatively simple dresses (lace sheath or simple taffeta a-line with no embroidery or detail work) and even those are few and far between. What everyone will tell you, is basicly the same. Unless you have the $300 to lose and don't mind having a back up dress or possibly having to find a new one, then it's really not a great idea.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_wedding-dress-custom-made?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:9aada81a-b56b-4ea0-9ae2-004ac3a342d6Post:cdc10f9e-1d76-4fd9-96cc-d66bf66cc38b">Re: Wedding Dress - Custom Made??</a>:
    [QUOTE]If it sounds too good to be true, then it is.  You won't find a $3500 quality dress anywhere for $300.  It's a rip off. The problem with ordering from China is that there is no quality control.  China does not share our business ethics.  Truth in advertising does not exist there. When a major dress manufacturer contracts with China to have their dresses made there, they send their representatives to monitor quality, fabrics, working conditions to their own specifications.  When you order from some random site, there is no such intermediary for you.  These sites will only accept payment through Western Union (no refund) or Paypal (45 day limit on refunds).  They won't accept your credit card.  Chances that you will get a refund is almost 0..  <strong>I can't tell you how many posts we have seen from heartbroken brides who found this out the hard way.</strong> The photos you see on their websites are not their own work.  They are stolen directly from the designer's website.  The dress you receive may look nothing like the original. Good luck finding your dress, but don't order from China.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

This. I have seen so many posts where the girl is like, "I knew this was a bad idea but I did it anyways." There was even one from last week I believe. If this is hwat you choose to do I would just be prepared to be disappointed and give yourself enough time to get a new dress if it doesn't work out. With that being said I do not condone buying a knock off as I think it is not fair to the designer. Like PP mentions, China does not have to adhere to our laws or standards so you get what you get. If you are unwilling to compromise your blue dress have you considered looking at non-wedding dress gowns?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_wedding-dress-custom-made?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:9aada81a-b56b-4ea0-9ae2-004ac3a342d6Post:0e3fdafe-c320-44a6-bbf5-134a060d3ba1">Re: Wedding Dress - Custom Made??</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is what I am worried about... <strong>My friend went to a bridal shop in Tyler, Texas and she ordered a dress through them.</strong>  They had it made in China and shipped to the bridal shop so I don't know who did it.  It was excellent quality and not that expensive but it was still around $600 since it was bridal shop ordering it. So, I'm open to a China shop but I want to make sure that it will be a quality dress. I've read alot of comments about DressilyMe but here is my concern...  You go to David's Bridal and you are looking at $100 to $300 dresses then you go to DressilyMe and you will be extremely happy with the quality of the dress.  It is what you are looking at already and you pay the same price for a more extravagant dress...   Now, I am the bride looking at $2000 to $3500 dresses...  being told that this same dress is $300 from DressilyMe is too good to be true...   Now if someone tells me that they are considering Demetrios, Maggie Sottero or another dress then they ordered through a china shop and the quality is same or very close, I want that shop!
    Posted by akitty81[/QUOTE]

Which store in Tyler, Texas?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards