Michigan-Detroit

WWYD? Im scared!

Okay FMIL is a seamstress and lives in Pheonix. She works at davids bridal. She is flying in 4-5 days before the wedding. She just sent me an email saying that she can do all of my alterations for me when she gets here. That scares me! She said she could do it all in one day.. but yikes!! I have a lot ob beading and details. I know she works at a bridal shop and this is her job. but what if something goes wronge or her machines break down... (they have been in our basement for safe keeping from when she moved). PLus i haven't seen any of her work...WWYD girls?On the other hand i would save booocko bucks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD? Im scared!

• edited December 2011
    I would tell her you would rather spend time with her than have her work under such stressful conditions. Then take the dress to a local seamstress. I have beading on mine too and the seamstress I spoke with said they could let it out and add beading...so what happens if in the process of alterations you either need beading or need...something that isn't that easy to find?
  • edited December 2011
    Decide what you value more....the monetary savings or peace of mind.
  • edited December 2011
    I guess more then anything I don't want to hurt her feelings!! I don't care about the money soo much. She is making my viel... but this might send me into a full blown panic attacke 3 days before the wedding!!! <-- i have been known for these.. not fun!
  • edited December 2011
    If you do what I said, I doubt she can get hurt when you want to save her from a stressful situation!
  • edited December 2011
    So...what happens when her machines break down, she needs extra beading, not enough time, and you're having panic attacks days before your wedding....how much will her feelings mean to you? I'm just trying to put it into perspective. I know it's difficult to tell her no w/o feeling bad and it's a very nice & generous offer. You don't have to offend her. This isn't about her skill, it's about time. You'll be very busy that week and it would be nice to have that out of the way and not deal w/ it days before your wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Mo. Just frame it that you don't want her to have to work when she should be enjoying her time here.I would spend the money for the peace of mind that's its done well ahead of time.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • ms nobodyms nobody member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you can also tell her that those days before the wedding are chock full of work/wedding prep and family visits and you cant want to make sure it's done before hand. if anything you might always be able to save some cash by having her do the bustle, since those are where a lot of seamstresses like to up the price just for a few tacks and buttons/ties (IMO).
    Bio Update 4.25.10
    imageimage
    Amanda Williams Photography
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for all of you advice.. I just sent her an email saying basicly what you all have suggested! I do have an issue with anxiety, and I reminded her of that! LOL! I feel much better. Plus FI talked to her earlier (i didn't know) and she was offering her services to him for me as well. He said he laughed and said I would never be able to handle that just days before!! So it was good that the blame was put on me and in a light and airy way!! So were all good!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards